Advanced search

Confusion over fees?

(32 Posts)
Eden27 Sun 02-Aug-15 03:28:33

DD is a year away from final exams and thinking about university entry.
We live overseas and have for the past several years.
This seems to mean that although DD was born in the UK to British parents and obviously is a British citizen she is sill classed as an international student!
It seems like a very silly rule, and DD is very annoyed about it, especially as her British cousins can pay home fees here.

Is this information correct or are we confused?

FishWithABicycle Sun 02-Aug-15 06:06:12

It's correct I'm afraid.

I don't think it's particularly silly though. Presumably if you've been overseas for several years you haven't been paying much in the way of UK taxes?

PrimalLass Sun 02-Aug-15 06:49:33

Do you still have a house in the uk?

AuntieStella Sun 02-Aug-15 06:56:43

It is correct, as it's based on residency as well as nationality. And the rules have been in force for years (decades?)

I take it you are outside EU? Unless you are on Crown Service, or your employer will provide the acceptable proof that your job overseas is a non-permanent posting and return to UK was always planned, then there really isn't anything that can be done about it, I'm afraid.

If in EU, then your DD would qualify for EU rates (much less). There is no requirement for reciprocity beyond EU, so if your DD wants the same rates as her cousins, then she like they will need to study in the place you currently live.

VegasIsBest Sun 02-Aug-15 07:04:21

The international fees aren't that much higher than the £9k UK fees now anyway. But you'd have to pay up front as international students don't get loans.

Bonsoir Sun 02-Aug-15 07:12:26

As PP have said, the rules have been in force for ages - I went to university as an EU student in the mid-1980s and the EU/international fee rate distinction was already there.

Eden27 Sun 02-Aug-15 12:35:00

Thanks everyone.
It's just very annoying, where we live all citizens are allowed home fees. DDs cousins were born and raised in the UK and are moving over to start uni here next year!
And yes unfortunately we are outside the EU.
Oh well, thanks again!

senua Sun 02-Aug-15 20:09:28

I believe that she can earn back her 'home student' status if she is resident here for three years before applying.

0verseasmum Sun 02-Aug-15 20:29:31

Hi Eden
Do you intend to come back to the UK to live are you just working abroad as an expat because if you are your DC can claim it's not their fault their parents job took them abroad and try for home status. Tax paid or not. This is what children from our international schools do. Where are you based

Happy36 Sun 02-Aug-15 23:45:52

I believe if you are outside the UK for 3 years (or more) you are classed as overseas. However if you are in the EU then your daughter would pay the same fees as a UK student if she chooses university in England or Wales and no fees if she chooses university in Scotland.
I would say, ring UCAS, and get their advice. They are really helpful and will clear up any confusion.

Happy36 Sun 02-Aug-15 23:46:49

Sorry, Eden, I missed where you had already stated you´re outside the EU. Apologies.

Eden27 Mon 03-Aug-15 08:04:10

Overseasmum - we're based in Australia. I'm not sure that would work for us to be honest because we've been here for all of DDs high school life and her school isn't international. Worth a try I suppose, do you know how we would go about doing that though?

Needmoresleep Mon 03-Aug-15 09:15:22

My understanding is that decisions around status are made by Universities and that some take a more flexible approach than others. Five years ago but we know one girl who was able to get home country status despite leaving the UK aged six. I think it was a case of asking different Universities till she found one that did.

Bonsoir Mon 03-Aug-15 09:31:24

There are government regulations on fee status for university but each university makes its own decision based on the regulations and without reference to the decisions made by other universities.

Millymollymama Mon 03-Aug-15 09:53:50

Is there anything wrong with Australian universities? My DD met several students from Australia on her year abroad in Europe and they were excellent people.

Bonsoir Mon 03-Aug-15 10:05:46

In Australia there are excellent universities (ANU) and less illustrious ones, on a spectrum.

Decorhate Mon 03-Aug-15 10:59:05

I met a student on an open day who was from one of the Channel Islands & was being charged as an overseas student. Thought that was harsh.

AtiaoftheJulii Mon 03-Aug-15 13:25:39

But Channel Islanders don't, as someone said above, pay much in the way of UK taxes.

Decorhate Mon 03-Aug-15 13:29:50

Oh I know that's why. But they feel part of the UK (though are not I think?) iyswim

Eastpoint Mon 03-Aug-15 13:33:37

Channel Islanders were treated as non UK in the 70s & 80s, that isn't new. No tax is paid to the UK government by CI residents.

scatterthenuns Mon 03-Aug-15 13:39:30

Correct and not silly at all!

Floggingmolly Mon 03-Aug-15 13:42:47

She's a non resident... What on earth did you expect?

titchy Mon 03-Aug-15 14:25:08

Check out the financial assistance for students provided by all the channel island (and Isle of Man) governments - you won't feel sorry for their fee status then - you'll be wanting to move there!

Decorhate Mon 03-Aug-15 14:28:55

Actually the whole resident/taxpayer thing is a bit of a red herring IMO. Eg EU residents don't pay fees in Scotland but English residents do. And obv EU residents don't pay UK tax.

Eden27 Mon 03-Aug-15 14:51:18

floggingmolly - would have expected British citizens born in Britain to British parents to pay home fees I suppose.
Maybe I just expected that because that's the system here and didn't consider it wouldn't be when we left the UK

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: