Changing schools in year 9(14 Posts)
Dd has experienced problems with bullying in her current school which has led to school refusal for the last half term due to anxiety
She has just asked if she can change schools
There is 1 other local school that she can go to in principle but it's a bus ride rather than her walking
I actually think it may do her good to change but obviously I have concerns
The 'new' school do gcse options in yr8 so it will mean going straight into gcse sets -I don't know if they will be able to accommodate her
School has obviously now finished for the summer so I don't even know if I can find out if they have space in the year group at all
Her attendance prior to may half term was good but is now appalling -can they refuse to take her if they have space?
What if a move doesn't work and its just moving the problem?
Could a move be arranged so that she starts on the first day of term?
A later move would cause more anxiety as she would feel like everyone was paying her more attention if she starts part way through a half term -one of the main reasons she refused to go back was because she was behind
Has anyone any experience of this?
Schools are closed for the summer so I think it's highly unlikely that anything would happen in time for September.
Did you have any contact with the EWO for support with the school refusal? Could you contact them for advice?
We took DS out of school in year 9 for bullying, and are looking into whether he can go back part-time in Sep in year 10.
If your DD is anxious about the work she's missed, she has several weeks ahead of her in which she could make some of this up (loads of online resources - you could register for www.tes.co.uk, where loads of teachers post their lesson plans etc), which may help in alleviating her anxiety. If you're going to miss half a term the last one of the year is probably the best one, as lots of other activities are taking place, and exams etc, so the amount of new learning is less.
A few schools aren't breaking up until tomorrow - DS2 is still in school - you could always phone and see if you could get hold of someone. Otherwise I'd e-mail the 'new' school and ask if someone could let you know how things stand ASAP - but this is now likely to be very late August or early September.
Your poor DD - it's bloody rotten, and horrible to watch as a parent as well. xx
EWO not involved -not sure why but school were holding them over me like a threat -I have another thread about it somewhere
We do have a camhs appointment coming up though
LEAs usually manage admissions.You need to contact them ab0out a place.
In our area the LEA only deals with admissions for yr7
Firstly, this sort of move is normally called an in year admission, or sometimes a managed move, and will either be handled by the LEA or the school themselves. Your local county council website should tell you who does what as they publish a list of which schools are their own admissions authority
Ring your LEA (number will be on county council website) and explain your situation, they will either send you the correct forms or point you in the 'new' schools direction, even though school has finished many office based staff will still be around, particularly the first part of this week.
Then its a case of waiting, though its unlikely it will all be sorted by the beginning of term, at least the wheels will be in motion and you will know for sure if the 'new' school has space. Also check out the schools website as they often have a section on in year admissions and what they require you to do.
If she would not go back because she was behind, how will this change in a new school? She will be behind there too, except no-one will know about it. I have a feeling the same will happen again. Have you not had any reasonable contact with her current school regarding a managed return to lessons and how she can catch up over the holidays? What were the pastoral care team doing about this?
Her school will be pleased if she leaves because it will improve their absence stats and this might account for their lack of effort recently. I don't think the grass is always greener in another school either, especially if the underlying issue is her relationships with teenage girls. There are unpleasant girls everywhere. However, do try and contact the school/LA asap.
The problem is not teenage girls, it is one particular boy that school say they can't deal with as its dd's word against his
When I said she was behind, it was in terms of topics they were covering that term -she's not behind overall and should be in top set for every subject at her current school, despite missing the last half term
It may well be just moving the problem but how can things be worse?
School have told her to just copy up the work and offered a phased return but said they could only help her if I got her into school but offered no help in terms of strategies to actually get her there
DD has been offered a place in Aylesbury High School from year 9 due to successful appeal. Is anyone commuting from Hemel Hempstead and happy to car share?? if not DD will be happy to have a company to/fro journey. Thinking of moving near to school but that will take some time...
Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Are you Emochild on a name change? If not you'd be better off starting a new thread, perhaps in Mumsnet Local.
Let's hope proud gets some answers!
Emo if the LA doesn't deal with non Yr 7 admissions you need to approach the school directly. Call and ask who deals with admissions no need to say why and ask for their email, also cc the head teacher. If the school office isn't manned this week and you can't find out who deals with admissions via their website, email the head teacher directly, perhaps ccing the head or year 9 as well?
thank you seriouslyffs
i shall start a new thread in Mumsnet Local
Join the discussion
Please login first.