Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think a Hd of a dept having a very open relationship

(12 Posts)
nigelslaterfan Mon 13-Jul-15 22:48:32

with another member of staff is a bit off? I mean of course fine out of school but lots of touching and flirting etc on school trips etc. It seems not ideal.

noblegiraffe Mon 13-Jul-15 22:52:51

No, it's unprofessional.

nigelslaterfan Mon 13-Jul-15 23:09:52

Yeah, I think so too, she's very senior which makes it worse I think.

slicedfinger Mon 13-Jul-15 23:13:39

Bet they wouldn't like it if the pupils started doing it!

nigelslaterfan Tue 14-Jul-15 10:27:52

Is there not an assumption that this is unprofessional?

Happy36 Tue 14-Jul-15 14:07:02

On school trips and in school even staff in long established relationships with each other should avoid flirting, touching, etc. It is not professional in any workplace.

However...how did you find out about this? I ask because I know the students at my school (teenagers) love to imagine relationships between teachers. I have been accused of being married to another chap in my department after he came into my class once to borrow some dictionaries(!) On a trip to Italy, the students were very excited about a colleague of mine hugging a young man...who she then introduced to them as her brother! And, hilariously, our students are convinced that a male teacher and female teacher (both of whom are gay) are in a relationship with each other because their classrooms are next door to each other so they walk along the corridor to get coffee and back together each day!!

So unless you have seen it for yourself or heard it from more than one reliable source, I would say take it with a pinch of salt (presuming that your son or daughter is not upset by it, of course).

PerspicaciaTick Tue 14-Jul-15 14:21:40

If she is very senior and they are going on the same trips, then I would assume she is the other persons boss. Which isn't a great idea. And getting flirty in front of students is ridiculous behaviour.

But I agree that school rumour mills often head off in completely the wrong direction.

TalkinPeace Tue 14-Jul-15 14:30:20

PDAs are unpleasant regardless of who.

Two teachers as DSs school recently married - one of them is the deputy head. But their behaviour has always been fine in public.

Teachers often marry teachers - its not new
but they should conduct themselves with a bit of dignity

StaircaseAtTheUniversity Tue 14-Jul-15 14:34:49

I'm a teacher married to another teacher. We used to work together- that's how we met. We were never openly affectionate with one another in school or even in the staff room. Staff events were a different matter, but anything in school you have to stay professional.

nigelslaterfan Tue 14-Jul-15 17:30:12

Well everyone knows about this relationship, staff and pupils. Staff have discreetly confirmed it to me.

I think it's setting a bad example because the children are expected to behave continently not like hysterical teenagers. Even though they are teenagers and it might be more forgivable.

BeeRayKay Tue 14-Jul-15 17:37:54

What does being continent and PDA's have to do with each other?

In direct relation to your post. No, thats not acceptable. But what is the source?

TeenAndTween Tue 14-Jul-15 20:35:07

Unprofessional.

DH and I used to work for same company. We did no hugging, kissing, holding hands at work, and there weren't even impressionable tens around!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now