Talk

Advanced search

Clothes for Winchester College

(15 Posts)
anxious2015 Mon 13-Jul-15 14:12:20

My son is starting at WC this year and is an average size 13 year old. When do parents buy new tweed jackets, suits etc as I am struggling to find any (apart from the few left in the second hand shop)? Thanks for your help.

grovel Mon 13-Jul-15 16:06:23

A friend of mine with a DS at Winchester did a lot of her shopping in (funnily enough) Eton High Street. At least four shops selling suits, jackets etc for boys. She lives in Windsor so it was just a stroll over the bridge for her.

anxious2015 Mon 13-Jul-15 16:30:08

Hi Thank you - that's a really good idea. We're not far away from Eton, so will give it a try. Thanks again.

DarklingJane Mon 13-Jul-15 16:40:19

anxious
Congratulations.

Not sure if of any help as Ds grew quickly early & he has just left (18) so not sure I can remember what the average 13yr old looks like. However, just to say he got his from M&S (but it was men's dept). Suits - M&S / one Peter Jones/ John Lewis. Grey trousers, M&S and once John Lewis although last time I went there was "no demand" for grey flannel trousers sold on their own. But same applied , he was big enough for men's dept.

I hope he has a fabulous time and do pm if you think I might be able to remember anything useful you want to know from when DS started.

DJ

BarbaraPymish Mon 13-Jul-15 16:52:17

My DS starts in September too. I've sorted a suit - got a dark grey one from M&S in the men's dept - have you tried there? I've yet to get the tweed jacket + trousers and may go back to M&S for that. Maybe check out Next as they do boys clothes up to 16 years and I've seen a black suit on their website.

summerends Mon 13-Jul-15 19:49:35

Unfortunately can't help since we got a warm jacket and first suit from the second hand shop. There are definitely some smaller suits at Next and we bought the trousers from M&S or John Lewis.

grovel Mon 13-Jul-15 19:59:59

anxious2015, you might want to call Billings and Edmonds, Hilditch & Key and Walsh & Jefferies to see if they stock what you need. There's another one - I can't remember the name. I'm pretty sure they will. As an (ex) Eton parent, my favourite was always W&J.

You and your DS will just have to hold your noses around the tailcoats etc!

Well done to you and your DS. Winchester is a great school. My DS was down for an imminent interview there when Eton offered him a place after the test. He was so chuffed he would not look elsewhere. We were calm either way.

turdfairynomore Mon 13-Jul-15 20:00:22

My son works in next and has done since he was a v tiny 16yr old. They do boys suits in catalogue but also sell very small slim fit suits in men's dept-34" chest 28" waist if that is any use to you? (He's a bit bigger 18yr old now and loves using his uniform.allowance to buy the LOUDEST suits possible!!)

Gruach Mon 13-Jul-15 20:06:55

New & Lingwood? (Though W&J are lovely.)

I approve of loud suits. I miss the 80s ...

DarklingJane Mon 13-Jul-15 20:29:02

grovel

despite occasional other threads with other posters , I also thought Eton was fantastic. Just so happened DS preferred Winchester and has done well.
I hope we have detente smile

BTW OP I believe my friend whose son went to Radley and was small for his age got his suits from Next. I would second turd (Never thought I would say that. grin

DJ

grovel Mon 13-Jul-15 22:29:03

DarklingJane, we have detente. There is so much nonsense talked about loads of great schools. 13 year old boys are (if happy) malleable enough to have a great adolescence and rewarding academic/extra-curricular results at all of them. Their happiness will, to a large extent, depend on the cohort of boys/girls who join the school/house with them. That is outside parental control.

anxious2015 Tue 14-Jul-15 10:04:48

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Good luck to everyone starting at a new school this September.

anxious2015 Tue 14-Jul-15 10:04:49

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Good luck to everyone starting at a new school this September.

Gruach Tue 14-Jul-15 10:12:47

anxious Have you been following the Boarders thread?

You'll be in excellent company!

buddyandpip Tue 14-Jul-15 10:16:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now