Talk

Advanced search

Job application

(5 Posts)
withaspongeandarustyspanner Sun 12-Jul-15 21:36:50

Since October I have been volunteering in our local high school as a TA. I've observed, loitered, sharpened pencils, helped pupils with tasks, coaxed pupils off landings and towards Heads of House and sebior staff, worked one-to-one with pupils in bottom sets and I've also worked with small groups.

I'm coming to the end of the year and applying for a job at a different secondary school. The job is for an HLTA and I'm sitting here trying to fill out the application form and I realise that I have no idea, really, how to sell myself. This is the first job in a school I have applied for - I've been at home with my children for 10 years and I think I've lost a bit of confidence and before that I did something entirely different and unrelated.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for me?

whatyouseeiswhatyouget Mon 13-Jul-15 08:37:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

withaspongeandarustyspanner Mon 13-Jul-15 12:17:49

Thank you - I really appreciate the advice smile

OneMoreMum Mon 13-Jul-15 12:38:53

A lot of the time people will score applicants against the job spec, so make sure you show how you meet all the necessary skills / experience, even if it's in your personal life (eg for organisational skills mention how you helped organise the village fete or something).

Don't give them any reason to write you off and big up all your fantastically relevant voluntary work, absolutely don't lie but maximise what you've done, this is no time to be modest about your achievements!
Good luck

withaspongeandarustyspanner Fri 24-Jul-15 16:51:38

whatyouseeiswhatyouget and OneMoreMum I just wanted to thank you both for your advice - I got the job! I'm thrilled and terrified at the same time grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now