Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Very disruptive child in dds class. Affecting dd.

(7 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Sat 11-Jul-15 19:57:22

Dd is in Year 9 at school. Firstly dd has dyslexia and according to her Ed Psych she has the worst working term memory he's ever seen in a kid. So she struggles with distractions, etc perhaps more than usual.

Anyway there is a girl in her form who obviously has problems. I am sympathetic to the fact that this girl has difficulties. No idea what exactly they are but the girl apparantly breaks down kicking and screaming and throwing herself on the floor a few times a day. The teachers all turn a blind eye to her behaviour and dd says that all the other kids have commented that if they did what X does they'd be in isolation. Dd says that in music lessons which is what their HoY teaches this girl is often screaming, swearing and threatening other kids and HoY does bugger all. Some boy in the class told X that the game she was playing on her dsi looked good the other day and X then threw her dsi at the wall, screaming at the boy not to talk to her and then collapses in the floor screaming and thrashing about.

She seems to have an obsession with dd and insists on sitting next to her in every lesson. Any teacher who has tried to say to X no I want you to sit over there has been met with a tantrum of epic proportions and has backed down.

So dd sits next to her in every non streamed subject, drama, music, ict, art, etc.....and also maths. Dd says she talks non stop, nothing to do with the lesson. And if she feels dd is ignoring her/trying to concentrate on the lesson she has a melt down.

This has been going on for a few months and to be honest I thought sweat it out till the end of Year 9 and then in sept they won't be in any lessons together. But have only just realised they're in the same maths group.

Would it be reasonable to tell the school I don't want dd sitting next to this girl in maths as she's finding it too disruptive? It's the one subject she really struggles with. Dd says that she's scared of this girl.

Phineyj Sat 11-Jul-15 20:02:27

Yes it would be entirely reasonable. I would ask for a meeting with the SENCO. Ask what they're doing to support your DD. Don't make it about the other girl, however, for all you know you're the only parent who hasn't asked for their daughter to be moved. Otherwise, I find it surprising your DD sits next to her in so many classes.

Starlightbright1 Sat 11-Jul-15 20:07:32

I would definitely be asking for your DD to be moved. I would take it from the point of view how it is affecting your DD.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 11-Jul-15 20:15:26

X asks every teacher if she can sit next to dd and the teachers seem to do what X wants.

I talked to the senco two years ago about what they could do to support dd. Senco looked gone out at me and said dd didn't need any help because she's doing very well but if I insisted she could be put in remedial classes. hmm
Dd is in Top sets for all subjects apart from maths.

pollyisnotputtingthekettleon Sat 11-Jul-15 22:25:44

This is awful, I would be straight in to her head of year, find out who the maths teacher is, and tell them this is affecting her concentration and grades, and you will not be pleased if she falls further behind. DD class is in Alphabetical order, or age or something until the class settles well. There are ways and means. Why the hell are a whole class being disrupted for the one child?

VivaLeBeaver Sat 11-Jul-15 22:27:55

God knows. Probably because it's easier to turn a blind eye than have to exclude her?? If she has a statement maybe they make allowances.

And this is the school which is extending the teaching day because the head and the governors are so worried about falling exam results. Maybe if they sorted out the discipline things might be better??

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Sun 12-Jul-15 11:29:20

Two ways to deal with this either concentrate on DD and if no changes ask to see behaviour policy. I would also say that DD does not want to associate with this girl ... it maybe that teachers assume they like each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now