Talk

Advanced search

Holland park school or Lady magaret

(7 Posts)
babymind Fri 10-Jul-15 19:22:53

I am looking for schools for my dd to apply this september ,just not sure which one to put in order ,I looked at Ofsted reports ,holland park should come first choice but just wander they said most pupils from minority and FSM children is half of them ,just confusing me as it is in a very nice area The kids should come from local area,anyone knows or have experience consederate both these 2 before ,Please give some advice in the whole picture of both schools would be great,thank you

BlossomTang Fri 10-Jul-15 19:33:02

Holland Park was discussed in www.mumsnet.com/Talk/secondary/2413247-Please-help-holland-park-a-private-school-which-one seems the catchment changed post ofsted report so that explains the change in demographic

notinminutenow Fri 10-Jul-15 23:13:28

'Minorities' live in 'nice' areas too you know!

BeaufortBelle Sat 11-Jul-15 10:05:37

I'm not sure what you are asking to be honest. I don't think the two schools are particularly comparable so it depends on what you want from a school for your daughter. It also depends on the admissions criteria and to what extent your daughter meets it. That is essential in the context of your decision making I'd have thought.

Some questions however?

Do you want an all girls' school?
Do you want a church school?
How interested are you in the school's academic results?
Is sport important to you?
Is a good art department/music department/science department/language offer important to you?

I think you need to answer those questions for yourself and then decide on the order remembering too there are other schools in this part of the world.

Most importantly you need to consider the vibe you encounter on open days and whether you think it's the right place for your daughter, whether she would fit in and most importantly whether she likes the environment.

I know very little about Holland Park School. I know rather a lot about LMS. I don't think my knowledge is relevant to this thread.

Pestolavista Sat 11-Jul-15 13:17:47

Re HP most of my daughter's friends are from ethnic minorities, in fact she herself identifies as Irish rather than UK. Most are high flyers some are wealthy, some poor. Not sure what your objection is to either group. Most very local families send their kids to private schools.

Pestolavista Sat 11-Jul-15 13:34:16

OP - I would first of all examine the entry criteria carefully - proximity for HP and Church for LMS. Assuming you still feel you have a chance for both, visit the open day, talk to teachers and you and your daughter make a decision based on that. I would strongly advise you to use all six choices or else you may leave yourself with an offer of a very undesirable school instead.

In my opinion basing a decision on an out of date ofsted report and particularly the breakdown of those on FSM and their ethnicity is very short sighted. There have been threads on here in the past about both schools.

babymind Sat 11-Jul-15 18:17:30

thank you very much for all opinion. I will go to both school open day ,my dd prefer unisex school than all girls but I feel like LMS more academic

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now