Talk

Advanced search

William Borlase

(5 Posts)
absolutelyflawed Wed 08-Jul-15 18:14:10

What kind of feel does it have ? Ie I know Reading School is supposed to be quite pressurised, other schools are sporty, etc
I know that it's strong on the performing arts. In particular would it suit quirky kids? Is it true that ALOT of the kids have swimming pools etc?! Does it have an exclusive rather than inclusive feel?!
Thanks

Millymollymama Wed 08-Jul-15 20:47:41

I am not a parent there but, as I am sure you know, it is in a very affluent area and there are few top quality independent schools within easy reach: boys schools are very few and far between. Hence it will have an affluent parent body, but obviously not exclusively so. I am not sure any Bucks grammar schools really suit very quirky kids but you would need to visit and get a feel for it yourself. The open days must be coming up. Clearly a grammar school is striving for top grades in academic subjects so I think it depends what the quirks are as to whether a grammar school is suitable. If it ends up with poor behaviour, I would be very wary. If it is loving maths, then fine!

LL12 Wed 08-Jul-15 20:51:43

I have heard from many people that it is now seen as a cheaper version of Private school for Berkshire parents that have sent their children privately for primary, due to the large donations made by the parents.
The bit about a lot having swimming pools I don't think is true.

absolutelyflawed Wed 08-Jul-15 22:19:58

Thank you - i guess i mean ''quirky'' as in maybe a bit nerdy, prob not seen as ''cool'' or very ''street''. Non-sporty. Not worried about the latest clothes. Well behaved though and love learning.

Millymollymama Wed 08-Jul-15 23:25:28

If your child has been ok with friends at primary, I cannot see why a grammar school would not be a good fit. It is quite a large school and has all sorts of children so one that likes learning is hardly going to be a problem. Not everyone is fashionable if they have money!!! At my DDs boarding school there were plenty of cheaply kitted out children. Not everyone wants to be expensively fashionable. RGS and Borlase's have always had huge parental donations. It is not a new thing. Berkshire parents are a relatively new thing because in the old days it was Bucks children only. Perhaps it is the Berkshire children who have the pools??? Only joking. The clever rich girls go to Wycombe Abbey. The clever rich boys further afield to Eton. The very rich are probably not parents at the grammar school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now