Talk

Advanced search

Means of Accessing gcse Results

(30 Posts)
simbo Wed 01-Jul-15 17:39:12

I have managed to book our holiday over results day and my dc school will not transmit results by any electronic means. They only allow a sae for the results to be sent home or to someone else. Is this common? I have heard that dc can access their results through their exam board. Anyone know anything about this and how to do it?

noblegiraffe Wed 01-Jul-15 17:50:17

I know students can get results for Edexcel via their ResultsPlus service, but the school needs to sign you up for an account - your DC would need to speak to the exams officer. I don't know if the other exam boards offer a similar service.

simbo Wed 01-Jul-15 17:59:24

Yes, that is what I was told by a teacher at a different school, but when i spoke to the exams officer she didn't seem to know about it. I need to try again. It seem ridiculous that they cannot log in to a secure school system to access their results.

Theas18 Wed 01-Jul-15 18:01:22

It's always be this way. They have to be sent to say a grandparent. School forgot to post a set of ours so did say by phone. Way too stressful though.

simbo Wed 01-Jul-15 18:10:36

The problem for us is that we are not the only ones away - all other family is, too, though not together. The earliest someone else can see her results is the evening of 22nd and then txt to us. In a way I'd rather she waited til she got back but her friends results will be all over social media by then and she will feel even more left out.

titchy Wed 01-Jul-15 18:14:59

Won't she need to enrol for sixth form as soon as she has her results? Ours go onto the parent portal by the way. Could one of her friends pick them up instead? And sorry I have to say it, but what were you thinking?!!!

simbo Wed 01-Jul-15 18:21:10

I wasn't! This hol was booked last year and I didn't know when the results were. There were other considerations involved as well. Her bf has said she would rather not pick them up for her in case my dd has done better etc. They don't have to enrol for 6th form until beginning Sept - she has pre-enroled already. Parent portal wouls be fine. Don't want them to be alone when they get the news.

HmmAnOxfordComma Wed 01-Jul-15 18:23:10

I was abroad for my GCSE results (about a million years ago) and school allowed me to telephone and speak to a Deputy Head to give me them.

Why would they not do that?

BertrandRussell Wed 01-Jul-15 18:26:00

At my dd's school they could nominate a friend to pick their results up for them-certainly at A level. Not sure about GCSE- a friend's parents, perhaps?

Leeds2 Wed 01-Jul-15 18:48:59

I would've thought that in your circumstances someone at the school would tell DD her results over the phone, particularly if you had requested this in advance.

If it were me getting results, I certainly would not want a friend, or family member, getting my results before I had. I would prefer to wait.

lljkk Wed 01-Jul-15 18:50:41

May I ask stupid question...
our local 6th form college is never over-subscribed.
So beyond sheer curiosity, is there any reason why DS would want to get hold of his GCSE results asap?

happygardening Wed 01-Jul-15 18:58:50

IMO it's completely ridiculous that your DC cannot access their exam results via the school intranet. This is standard stuff in boarding schools where children frequently live a considerable distance from the school if not abroad. When booking holidays many of us have to take into consideration a whole variety of other consideration including when we can actually get the time off so personally OP I don't think you should blame yourself.
When DS1 (state comp) received his GSCE results a few years ago they had to rock up at the school, we're rural and many live considerable distances away and come in on a school bus but obviously in holidays there is no school bus so parents had to make arrangement to get their DC's to school: crazy. I'm a complete technophobe but IMO it's time schools came into the 21st century.

titchy Wed 01-Jul-15 19:02:40

A lot of sixth forms ARE over subscribed lljkk, besides which they generally line to get an idea of who's arriving, what subjects they're doing etc so they can sort timetables out. No point spending hours juggling the timetable to accommodate the kid that wants to do Maths and Dance A level if they don't actually turn up!

BertrandRussell Wed 01-Jul-15 19:03:41

When dd got her A level results she was most disappointed to get early morning emails from her two potential universities firming theri offers so she knew she'd got her grades. She was looking forward to the horror movie scariness of going with her gang and collecting the envelopes and opening them all together!

lljkk Wed 01-Jul-15 19:04:35

Well, anyway, ours is never over-subbed.
I can understand the urgency of accessing A-level results if you don't have an unconditional offer.

noblegiraffe Wed 01-Jul-15 19:06:04

Schools want kids to come in to get their results though. It's nice to celebrate with them, but more importantly the ones who haven't done as expected will have access to advice about progression, resits, remarks etc. Schools are closed over the holidays so if a student missed that window, they'd have to wait till September which could be quite stressful.

happygardening Wed 01-Jul-15 21:31:12

noble what do you think happens to this who haven't done as well as expected and who are at boarding school?
I agree it's nice to celebrate with friends and even get face to face advise but this is the 21st century.

simbo Thu 02-Jul-15 11:20:59

Sorry, ended up abandoning thread as we were going out. She has been offered a place at 6th form already as it is in her school and they already know that she will get high grades in 3 of the 4 subjects she is taking as there was a lot of coursework as part of the gcse. Point was that in this day and age it seems ridiculous that they are not able to access their results by modern means. I would never advocate a lone teen finding out bad news etc but the parent portal idea that was mentioned should be an option. She had counted on her bf picking the results up for her but she has had so much of a wobble about it that her mum won't do it for us either. We have no family close by and all possible other options are also away. She will just have to wait a few more days longer than everyone else, unfortunately.

HmmAnOxfordComma Thu 02-Jul-15 12:05:13

Have you asked to be able to telephone in, OP?

simbo Thu 02-Jul-15 15:08:53

Of course. Strictly forbidden, apparently.

HmmAnOxfordComma Thu 02-Jul-15 18:07:39

Helpful smile.

Unexpected Thu 02-Jul-15 20:24:47

Well her best friend doesn't have to be the one to pick them up. If that is an allowable option, which is seems to be, why not ask another friend to collect them? One who is more likely to get the same results as your daughter or who is doing several different subjects or something? Surely she must have other friends/classmates?

simbo Fri 03-Jul-15 12:16:20

None trusted with such sensitive stuff. A stamped addressed envelope has been left with school so she will just have to wait.

muminhants1 Tue 07-Jul-15 13:40:24

Just to say my son's school will email results after lunch - or send them out if you let them have an SAE. They won't give out over phone.

MayPolist Thu 09-Jul-15 09:12:41

At my DCs school exam results are published in the local and regional rag whether you like it or not.They are public exams, the results are not confidential!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now