WWYD - school trip to Calais

(11 Posts)
thatone Tue 30-Jun-15 22:23:19

Ds (13) is due to go on a school trip to Calais in two weeks. I am in two minds about this - OTOH I think the school would cancel if they thought the risk was high, OTOH I am just uneasy about it as Foreign Office advice is that it is in the high risk category for a possible terrorist attack. Just wondered what other (equally anxious ) people would do.

CocktailQueen Tue 30-Jun-15 22:27:57

I don't think the risk is much higher than it has been. How long has the FO website mentioned the migrants at calais? That has been an issue for years. The UK has been on high alert for a terrorist attack for years. I would let her go. But I can see why you're worried!

BackforGood Wed 01-Jul-15 00:29:33

Well, I'm not really sure of the value of a school trip to Calais, but, if you feel it was a good plan and have signed them up, then I don't think I'd be concerned from a terrorist pov now.

thatone Wed 01-Jul-15 06:48:27

BackforGood and CocktailQueen thanks for your comments. It's a three night trip. They will be visiting different places while there and developing their spoken French.

AuntieStella Wed 01-Jul-15 07:10:23

If they get there at all, of course. The port/tunnel is closed again today.

How were they planning on making the crossing?

TeenAndTween Wed 01-Jul-15 07:32:01

I wouldn't choose to take kids to Calais at the moment. Not because of terrorist threat, but because of the migrant issue. But then I was of the same mind 18 months ago.

Millymollymama Wed 01-Jul-15 14:21:08

Not much fun to be had in Calais at the moment. The French will probably be on strike anyway. Nowhere near as nice a Boulogne. I think the port/migrant issues are of more concern than any terrorist threat. If you are worried about terrorism, where is 100% safe? Probably nowhere.

thatone Wed 01-Jul-15 20:57:50

Thanks everyone - AuntieStella they are going by coach through the tunnel. Millymollymama I know there is always a possibility of anything happening anywhere and most likely the trip will be uneventful but warnings have been issued and France is also having all these issues.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Wed 01-Jul-15 21:01:27

"developing their spoken French

Yeah, right.

LIZS Wed 01-Jul-15 21:13:43

I'd be more concerned about the strikes tbh.

Floralnomad Wed 01-Jul-15 21:19:16

Id be more concerned about them being stuck on a coach than terrorism - the motorway system was completely buggered this afternoon / evening and it's literally taking hours to get anywhere .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now