Talk

Advanced search

Do your children get textbooks at Senior School?

(48 Posts)
Noideaforausername Mon 29-Jun-15 12:57:51

My DD in Year 8 doesn't get textbooks for any subject. Just wondering if this is the norm now?

Florence37 Mon 29-Jun-15 13:53:04

It's the norm at our school. DD1 is taking GCSE History and has had a textbook since the start of year 10. This is the only textbook she has come home with in 4 years.

OldBeanbagz Mon 29-Jun-15 13:57:15

DD has a combined science textbook and one for French. Those are her only two textbooks.

SunnyBaudelaire Mon 29-Jun-15 13:58:23

not a text book in sight - it was all on bits of paper........

hanami Mon 29-Jun-15 14:01:28

My son has not had any, but I bought some cheap from Amazon. They don't quite fit the curriculum, but at least give most of it and gave a sweep of the basics he needs.

He is dyspraxic, so his note-taking is not great.

We also use GCSE Bitesize, etc, and where the textbook has not had enough material have made our own text, so to speak from there.

He is only Year Seven so I don't mind helping a bit now. Won't want to do it forever though - so don't know what the long term solution will be.

CitronVert Mon 29-Jun-15 14:03:28

DD (yr 8) has textbooks for most subjects (biology, chemistry, physics, maths, geography, French and German) but not for English, history or any of the arts/practical subjects. They tend to have printed worksheets for those.

Noideaforausername Mon 29-Jun-15 14:09:00

Thanks everyone. That's really helpful. My DD's notes are all on scraps of paper as well which makes it really hard to revise from or look anything up. Looks like I'll have to buy some books myself.

Northernsoul58 Mon 29-Jun-15 14:56:51

I would suggest you wait until she starts GCSEs, then find the exam board for each subject - AQA, Edexcel, etc - and what level she will be studying Foundation or Higher for each one. Then buy books which match the curriculum for each subject. If you go to the exam board website they usually have text books listed with the publisher - such as Pearson. We found ours on Amazon. Not cheap, but better than scraps of paper and useless notes which are the norm otherwise.
After reading a chapter, DS (Yr10) writes 'headline notes' on index cards so he can use them to revise from before the exams.

ChocolateWombat Mon 29-Jun-15 15:00:37

We get text books. In some subjects such as History, probably 4 or 5. Private school.

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 29-Jun-15 15:44:07

Maths, History, Latin: Yes, every year
Sciences, Geography, French/German: Not until GCSE level.
English: No. Each student has to buy their own copy of the texts.

State school.

Noideaforausername Mon 29-Jun-15 15:53:40

Take your point about waiting Northernsoul, but she's having trouble doing homework without books to refer to. In Spanish for example, she had to write three paragraphs about what she does in her spare time. 1st paragraph in present tense, 2nd in past tense and 3rd in future tense. Her exercise book didn't have any clear notes about how to form different tenses etc so we had to google it in the end.

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 29-Jun-15 15:58:18

At KS3 level you can find some bits on BBC bitesize or the CGP books cover the basics.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Mon 29-Jun-15 15:59:10

We buy them.

DoctorDonnaNoble Mon 29-Jun-15 17:23:03

Text books in most subjects except English and Drama. They don't always get to take them home as some departments can't afford to buy a whole year set - particularly with all the curriculum changes.

BackforGood Wed 01-Jul-15 00:32:03

No - or at least, rarely.
They appeared a bit more during Yr11

karbonfootprint Wed 01-Jul-15 04:19:46

Yes, if I were you I would buy her some decent text books yourself. They are important. Unfortunately they are currently out of favour with ofsted, which is one of the many stupid and destructive wishy washy ideas ofsted has come up with. Most teachers and schools want to use them, but can't justify the budget on something they can't let ofsted catch them using. So its silly bits of loose paper all round, I'm afraid. of no benefit to anyone. But a tick in the right box if ofsted turn up unannounced.

PotteringAlong Wed 01-Jul-15 06:03:37

They're also really expensive at a time when budgets are bring slashed. For my dept the cost of 2 class sets of textbooks is more than I have to buy all the stationary / resources I need for the year...!

Noideaforausername Wed 01-Jul-15 09:02:41

Ah, so Ofsted likes the scrappy bits of paper! Ofsted should try looking something up in an A5 exercise book containing pages of A4 scraps of paper folded in half and glued in so only the blank side is showing! Or revising from a book like that. Hard even to work out what topics you should be revising in some cases. Of course, not even a scrappy bit of paper if you have missed a lesson.

Such a change between DD1 (y8 in 2009) and DD2 (Y8 now) at same school. DD2's notes are often full of the scrappy paper and very hard to use. No textbooks. DD1's are handwritten and laid out in a way you can refer back to. DD1 had textbooks for all subjects from year 7 as well.

I found out the school are starting teaching GCSE in some subjects from start of year 9 so I will buy DD GCSE textbooks for those subjects (Although science book for 2018 exam cohort not published until spring 2016!) and KS3 for everything else. Lucky we can afford it. Feel sorry for the parents who can't.

Clavinova Wed 01-Jul-15 09:39:07

Ofsted hate scrappy bits of paper: www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/ofsted-chief-attacks-schools-that-give-pupils-worksheets-rather-than-books-to-take-home-10321792.html

Criticisms of schools in the past related to, 'the over-reliance on a limited range of outdated textbooks' but they were equally scathing of the over- reliance on worksheets too.

DS1 (Yr8 private) and DS2 (prep) both have a mixture of textbooks, publisher printed workbooks and 'in house' printed workbooks/information booklets with spaces for classwork and homework plus a ton of exercise books to write in.

It's a cost issue.

Gruach Wed 01-Jul-15 09:43:12

This is one of the saddest things I've ever heard. (In the context of UK education ...)

Two or three years ago there was a thread about a school with no library. Is this the plan for all the schools who don't use textbooks? Is it some sort of policy to prepare children for a life without physical reading matter?

Noideaforausername Wed 01-Jul-15 10:13:54

Thanks Clavinova for the link. I will read that.

Gruach. There are textbooks available at school for use in lessons but perhaps not enough for each child to bring one home - in years 7 and 8 at any rate. I suppose at least that means the pupils don't get a bad back lugging textbooks to and from school, but it can be a problem when doing homework or revising for tests.

jeanne16 Wed 01-Jul-15 10:53:42

Teachers in State schools are considered lazy and unimaginative if they 'just use textbooks'. So I was amused by the article saying Ofsted now hate scrappy pieces of paper. Would love to know what they actually do now want now as they can't have it both ways.

Also the point that textbooks are expensive is interesting. School departments spend an absolute fortune on photocopying all these scrappy worksheets but I guess that budget is spread over the year rather than an upfront cost which is textbooks.

Clavinova Wed 01-Jul-15 12:17:03

"Teachers in state schools are considered lazy and unimaginative if they just use textbooks" - replacing 'just textbooks' with 'just worksheets' isn't what Ofsted had in mind though.
Read Q & A 16 on this clarification: www.clerktogovernors.co.uk/ofsted/ofsted-schools-inspection-some-faq/
I've read Inspection Reports from 5 or 6 years ago that criticised 'over-reliance on worksheets' so it's not something new.

PotteringAlong Wed 01-Jul-15 12:18:13

jeanne it's also a different budget in our school - if I want to buy textbooks I make a choice between textbooks and pens / pencils / post its etc. photocopying comes out of a different budget so I don't have to make that decision.

Gruach Wed 01-Jul-15 12:21:04

Textbooks count as stationery?

confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now