Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else waiting for IB results?

(33 Posts)
basildonbond Thu 25-Jun-15 17:52:49

Ds1 gets his a week on Sunday and I'm not sure who's more nervous...

welshpixie Thu 25-Jun-15 21:41:41

DD gets hers Monday 6th July, I take it your DS had a nice IB co-ordinator who will release them early.
I am worried, she needs 41 for her firm Uni.

basildonbond Fri 26-Jun-15 17:05:32

Gosh 41 is v high - is that Cambridge? Thankfully ds doesn't have to get anything like that..

There does seem to be a huge variation in IB offers from various universities- the standard A-level offer for ds's firm choice is AAA but they've only asked him for 34 which is quite a bit below his predictions. If he doesn't get it something will have gone very badly wrong

Does your dd have a plan B?

welshpixie Fri 26-Jun-15 21:31:34

Yes it is Cambridge, she does have a plan B and a really good one too, her insurance is unconditional. I think she will be happy at either but it is "Cambridge". You are right about the variations she had offers from other unis and they were all different but in the prospectuses they had the same A'level offers.
How did your DS find the IB? DD said in someways she would have preferred A'levels as there would have been no maths but she enjoyed the challenge of the whole thing.

halvedfees Mon 29-Jun-15 10:05:32

We're waiting - 2pm next Monday...... DS wants to reapply to Oxbridge so needs at least a 42 with 766, but is hoping for a 43/44.

He loved the IB - would do it again, but possibly not do HL Maths - really hard, though he enjoyed the challenge (sort of!)

Parisbanana Mon 29-Jun-15 19:29:29

Finally an IB thread...or maybe I just never found them before. Ah well better late than never ��
Dd gets her results at 3.30 on Sunday. She's delighted they go into school when no one else is there. She needs 39 points. From predictions she should get it and she feels okay, but I will be so pleased when we finally know. Fortunately she's away for a few days, coming back Saturday, so she and friends can anticipate and worry together!!!
I think she has enjoyed the wide range of subjects but sometimes got very envious of friends doing A levels and just 3 subjects.
Out of interest, what subjects have your do done? Dd did higher chemistry biology and English. Standard maths, Mandarin and geography.

Good luck to all of you and your dc

basildonbond Mon 29-Jun-15 19:37:55

Ds is a classic all-rounder so that's not been so much of a problem, however he's also very disorganised- which with 6 subjects was a problem...

He upped his game substantially after the mocks so we're hoping he's done enough

He did English, history and philosophy at HL and maths, Biology and German SL

TOK was fine as were the action and service elements of CAS but the creative bit took a lot of nagging (from school and me) as he didn't really engage with it as he couldn't see the point ...

Not long now <bites fingernails >

halvedfees Tue 30-Jun-15 15:49:52

My DS did HL Maths, History and Ancient Greek (only one of 20 or so in the world!) and SL French, English and Physics.

He enjoyed the variety - he particularly loved English; an English teacher said to me that most people stopped at GCSE English and missed out on A level/IB when it starts to get really interesting.

He's hoping to do PPE..... 6days to go!!

BeaufortBelle Thu 02-Jul-15 08:04:30

No, but I remember the wait last year and the fact that I stopped the traffic in Putney High Street when I took the call from DS and missed the lights as I said "you got what, no, and burst into tears of joy".

The only downside has been that the IB was so intense he has struggled with his "free time" and lack of structure at uni' this year.

Good Luck.

scortes Sun 05-Jul-15 08:12:10

Glad to find this thread as I´m feeling very anxious for my dd. She needs 38 or 36 for her firm/insurance and she´s convinced herself that she´ll get 34 based on how she feels her exams went. The wait is excrutiating! Does anyone know what info is included in the results?

BeaufortBelle Sun 05-Jul-15 09:10:28

They get their marks and the grade boundaries. I can't remember if that was with the initial results but it was fast enough for us to request a remark of one subject within a few days. That may have been because our results came out over the weekend and he went into school on the Monday though.

Good luck with it.

scortes Sun 05-Jul-15 10:11:24

Many thanks for the info. How long did it take for the remark to be done? My dd is worried that, if she does go for remark, the university will reject her before the final mark comes back. Hopefully this is all academic, and she´ll get the grades. Fingers crossed!

BeaufortBelle Sun 05-Jul-15 10:20:06

I don't think it took long. I don't think they will reject at this stage because the A'Level results aren't out until mid August and she's ahead of the game.

You'll know soon enough.

basildonbond Sun 05-Jul-15 18:39:47

Yay - ds got 39 - 3 points higher than predicted and 5 points higher than he needed for his first choice smile

basildonbond Sun 05-Jul-15 18:40:25

Fingers crossed for everyone else still waiting

Leeds2 Sun 05-Jul-15 18:45:21

Fab news. Well Done to your DS, basildon. What is he going on to study?

welshpixie Sun 05-Jul-15 19:01:23

Basil That is great news congratulations to your son.
DD is going out of her mind here. We have had a hell of a week, moving house moving countries and if it can go wrong it has gone wrong. We are still waiting for the money to be transferred because of the post strike in Germany, got to the Hook of Holland to be told the dog had to have a tapeworm tablet , so spent 2 extra days there, now we are living in my DP's 2 bedroom retirement flat, so 5 people and a dog. And now we have to go play bingo tonight with them, it should at least take her mind off the results for a few hours.
Good luck to all who are waiting.

Parisbanana Sun 05-Jul-15 19:16:36

Well done to your ds basildonbond smile So pleased for him and the relief must be immense.
We had amazing news. Dd got 43 shock, 4 above what she needed and 2 above predicted. She and her mates piled round here after going into school, I offered to crack open champagne or beer. They opted for Pepsi! They're now out for food but feeling slightly shellshocked I think. This date has been etched on the mind for so long I think the relief is huge. Just to know, good or bad.
Good luck to everyone tomorrow smile

BeaufortBelle Sun 05-Jul-15 19:55:20

Woo, hoo! Well done! I've even shed a little tear for you both x

Tweennightmare Sun 05-Jul-15 20:06:03

I am watching this thread with interest as my DD is about to start at a school which does IB at sixth form. She is only year 9 at the moment and I have always discounted IB and assumed we would move her for sixth form but out of interest did you all choose IB as an alternative to A levels or was it due to no alternative being available where you are? Also how do you think it compares to A levels in relation to getting Uni offers . Do they see it in the same class or as a harder or easier option?
Congratulations to your children for their fab results

basildonbond Sun 05-Jul-15 21:31:37

Thanks everyone - feeling mightily relieved here ... Well done parisbananas dd!

His first choice is Exeter for historical but school has suggested looking into 'trading up'...

Tween - ds's school does both A-levels and IB - ds chose the IB as he is a classic all-rounder (it wouldn't suit ds2 at all as he's much more able at STEM subjects than English and languages etc). It was a LOT of work - I think all the IB cohort were taken aback by the amount of effort and organisation required - however he thoroughly enjoyed the syllabus, complained a bit about the CAS elements but enjoyed bits and it made him do things he might not otherwise have done. He also appreciated the TOK course and did very well in his extended essay. It is definitely not an easy option..,

Universities seem to be changing in their view of its equivalence to A-levels. A standard offer of AAA used to be translated to 39 for IB but now lots of universities offer 35 for AAA courses

Parisbanana Sun 05-Jul-15 21:50:52

Tweennightmare - my dd goes to a state school that does IB. About half her friends moved to do A levels, the rest stayed on. IB is really rigorous. It is a hard option. 6 subjects plus core.
My dd chose it for the range open to her as she's a good all rounder. It meant keeping her options open for longer.
Some universities are better than others but apparently are all getting better at giving decent offers, realising exactly what for example 35 points actualy means.
For dd it was the right fit. Brilliant and supportive teachers made it for a very positive experience and bloomin amazing outcome smile

BeaufortBelle Sun 05-Jul-15 22:29:06

Interesting. A'Levels weren't an option at DS's school when he did it but are now. We, his parents, thought it the wrong option for him because he is not particularly science/maths orientated. Very much linguistic/creative. We pushed for him to board at 6th form and do straight A'Levels but he insisted on staying where he was because he loved the school so much.

We were wrong actually. He really got his nose to the grindstone and pulled down 44 points. He was offered 41 at Oxford and 34/35 from other Russell Group outfits half of which asked for a 6 in the subject related to that which he is reading. He has not felt that uni has been the same quantum leap as others who did A'Levels.

partialderivative Mon 06-Jul-15 12:42:05

As an IB teacher (HL Maths), I go through this every year.

I'm not claiming that the tension of waiting for the results is any more for me than the students, that would be crass. But you inevitabely build up a relationship with the students and really feel for them.

Less than an hour to go I think.

scortes Mon 06-Jul-15 14:27:33

My dd has stunned us all with an amazing 39 points! So proud! So she´s got her place at Bristol and can relax for the rest of the summer. Happy days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now