Talk

Advanced search

Cherwell or Matthew Arnold school in Oxford

(11 Posts)
vanloadtovenice Wed 24-Jun-15 10:23:05

Would appreciate thoughts. Realise that both have full mix of backgrounds, trying to establish where my children would be happiest and best educated! Any help from current parents much appreciated.

1805 Wed 24-Jun-15 17:30:32

ermmm, which catchment are you in? That will probable decide for you.

vanloadtovenice Thu 25-Jun-15 08:56:22

We can move to the right catchment area for either

1805 Thu 25-Jun-15 09:55:41

Ah, well, in that case, I would chose to live in Summertown (jealous!) and go to Cherwell.

I think both schools are generally ok, so it would be down to the "fit" of each school for your individual dc.

If you can afford Cherwell catchment though, that's where i'd rather live!! Don't stray too far from Cherwell School though. Not all the catchment area gets in.

Maybe a bit more info as to what your dc are into would help parents help you??

vanloadtovenice Thu 25-Jun-15 10:37:07

Into sports and drama... Not necessarily top set. Bit tired of hearing that state school only okay if children are top set!! And slightly worried at same time, we def have to do state! What are the middle sets like in these schools? Thank you!

HPFA Thu 25-Jun-15 11:40:37

Would definitely go for Matthew Arnold simply because it is almost impossible to guarantee getting into Cherwell unless you live next door.Last year 101 children who lived in catchment were turned away, whereas MA only turned away 3 catchment children. Living in Botley would guarantee you getting in to MA and Bartholomews in Eynsham might be an alternative as well.

mummytime Thu 25-Jun-15 12:13:51

My DC have gone through State school, the eldest two were never top set (even though one belatedly was identified as gifted and talented), and did fine! Actually if you are middling or lower then state school (Comprehensives) can be far superior to private as it has to cater for everyone.

1805 Thu 25-Jun-15 17:39:39

Wolvercote addresses have priority entrance into Cherwell if that helps?
No idea about the middle sets though, sorry! I know happy parents at both schools.

vanloadtovenice Thu 25-Jun-15 21:12:30

Thank you for the wolvercote tip!

AllPizzasGreatAndSmall Fri 26-Jun-15 07:04:12

Was also going to say about Wolvercote. The catchment is a strange shape,n in my experience It's usually children in Grandpont and roads closest to Headington that miss out. If you can afford North Oxford, Summertown or Jericho then you'll be fine, Marston is more affordable.

Rosita2014 Fri 26-Jun-15 12:50:57

I also know happy children at both schools and imagine your child would thrive at either place all things being equal (housing in Cherwell catchment generally costs significantly more). Cherwell is more difficult to get into but it's not necessarily 'better' as it really depends on your preference. The schools are very different in ethos. For example, there is no school uniform at Cherwell whereas it is quite strictly enforced at Matthew Arnold. Many of my friends in central Oxford sent their kids out of the city to Bartholomews which is another good option and easy travel. You need to visit these schools to get a sense of where your children will 'fit'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now