Talk

Advanced search

Appeal - no hope but should I try anyway?

(10 Posts)
housemoverihope Tue 23-Jun-15 20:37:07

Currently offered third preference - a 15 minute walk and two buses away. Put local comprehensive first, we are in catchment area but heavily oversubscribed. Started on the waiting list at 19, got to number 2 but the 12 successful appeals have now effectively put us back to 14th. Rang admissions who basically said to put an appeal in as it's our only hope of a place now.
Literally our only grounds are:
- Travel to school is over an hour (includes a walk across a not very nice industrial estate)
- Reliance on grandparent for before/after school care (she has no car and I am a teacher at another school in the LA)
- We are moving to further into the catchment (started trying to move last summer - it has been a nightmare)
- The school has previously admitted over the PAN following successful appeals (is this even relevant?!)
- They potentially cocked up by someone "unticking" the catchment area subscription criteria box on the form so moved down the list massively although they are certain this will have made no difference.

So do I start practicing the bus route or have a bash with my pretty poor appeal grounds?

Two form entry and DS is literally the only one who didn't get a place sad

jeee Tue 23-Jun-15 20:41:40

What have you got to lose by appealing? Do you think it'll unsettle your dc, or give them false hope? If you're not worried about the appeal negatively impacting on your dc, I don't see that it'll do any harm.

titchy Tue 23-Jun-15 20:43:06

Is it really only two form entry? That's tiny for secondary!!!! Is there nothing about its offer that makes it more suitable? Subjects? After school activities? Any SN that need a very very small school?

housemoverihope Tue 23-Jun-15 20:44:49

I have just read back what I have written and thought exactly the same! What the hell am I on about - just get on with writing an appeal and don't let DS get wind of what is going on...!

I think I am actually just completely gutted for him sad

housemoverihope Tue 23-Jun-15 20:45:22

No sorry his primary is two form so 59 are going and he's not.

OwlsEscapade Tue 23-Jun-15 20:50:44

It's such a stupid system. I am feeling mad on your behalf.
I've no advice but wanted to offer my commiserations hmmhmmhmm.

Hope it works out for your DS

prh47bridge Tue 23-Jun-15 21:55:17

Transport and childcare issues are rarely grounds for a successful appeal. Your potential move is also irrelevant for appeal although it may move you up the waiting list.

The fact they have gone over PAN in previous years may help you a little. You also need to raise the mistake just in case that did have an effect. But above all you need to identify things that make this school more suitable for your child than the one offered. As Titchy says, look at the subjects they offer, after school activities and the like. That should be the basis of your case.

Doonuts Tue 23-Jun-15 23:22:49

We appealed and lost but I wouldnt say dont try as lots of others won smile What I would say is its extremely stressful, so prepare yourself for that. PRH47bridge, admission and panelchair have some great advice though. You just need to find a really, really valid reason.

As I said we lost, in fact we didnt get any of our 3 places and we've now chosen a school we would never have considered but you know what.....after delving deeper the school looks great and DD is excited now. I wouldn't mention it to your son though.....my biggest mistake.

Good luck!!!

Potterwolfie Thu 25-Jun-15 02:47:59

Hi, I'd start by reading 'how to win your school appeal' by Ben Rooney and put your case together using his guidelines. I'd then ask the brilliant appeals experts on here to take a look at your outline case, and maybe give some advice; their input is worth it's weight in gold, and I for one will be eternally grateful for their help.

Our appeal was upheld, mainly, we think, because the admission authority (school) and the LA made errors with the administration of our application. We had evidence to back this up and left no stone unturned in finding info to back up our case. We got letters of support from DS's headteacher and school counsellor. Even though our case was based on the fact that errors were made, we followed the guidelines and talked about why the school we were appealing for was the best one for our DS and we questioned the admission authority's case where they set out why they didn't want to admit over PAN.

Incidentally, in your case, I think you should still be second on the waiting list, as the 12 who appealed successfully are extra, above and beyond PAN, and I don't think they will push you down the list ( could be wrong tho!)

Good luck.

prh47bridge Thu 25-Jun-15 07:50:15

The 12 who appealed successfully will have been admitted automatically. They don't go to the head of the waiting list. But there won't be any vacancies to be filled from the waiting list until they are back down to PAN so the OP now needs 14 pupils to leave before her child gets a place. I think that is what the OP means.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now