Talk

Advanced search

Getting a statement of SEN! As quickly as possible.

(12 Posts)
worriedmother2073 Fri 19-Jun-15 22:14:48

Hi All.

So i am panicking at the moment because DD has to move schools, she is going into year 10 moving from private to state system (money troubles and student related issues) I live in norwich which has no defined catchment area (Just about 4 school in norwich (Which is our "Catchment are")) and we only found out very recently we would have to move her and we are a late application. There is only 2 school in a 3 mil radius which have an outstanding from of stead all others are in adequate or below! The one i want her to go to is outside our "catchment" (Just) and has amazing SEN support. The other school that is good is a catholic high school (We are not catholic) which dosent have a proper SEN department. So i want her to go to the one a bit thurther away but we have ben tolled there is little to no chance of getting her in (In normal application ranks as she would be quite far down the bottom) . But we have been tolled we could apply for a Statement of SEN (or EHC plan) by the admissions team at the school. We have 1 month till admissions completely close for september admission and need to get her in! I am not even to sure if she would apply for a Stament, she has Dyslexia (Obviously from me excuse spelling) Dyspraxia, she's on the Austistic Spectrom, she has mobility issues (Not very bad at all just slightly loose joints) and has PoTS (a heart condition that makes her faint) But is still very bright and very much on her way of getting a C at GCSE English (and I want to keep it that way). My question is there any chance we would get a stamens done in time, to apply for september. If it isn't do i just send her to the crappy local school and move her again in January. Will the process be speed up considering she goes to a private school now. Who do we go to to get the ball rolling. I am rubbish at this stuff. I feel I must mention as well that she is my main carer as i am register disabled so needs even more support as she can be tired and not have homework in as she has to look after the DS (9) She is an incredible kid who goes through a lot as the fathers not around either!. Thats why I am far behind I just keep sleeping. Poor thing I just want her to get a good education, she deceives to go to a good School. Please help and give advice. Thank

worriedmother2073 Fri 19-Jun-15 22:22:40

I feel very ashamed as I said DD looks after DS (9)... I was meant to say DS's (9,7,6,11(Severve learning difficulties for this one)!

cece Fri 19-Jun-15 22:26:38

You have absolutely zero chance of getting one in place for Sept. If you are referred for an EHCP the local authority have 6 weeks to decide if they are going ahead with the assessment process. Then if they decide to go ahead then the time scale is something like 18 weeks for the assessment process. the care plan then has to be written and agreed and then implemented. It can take several months at best.

Look on the IPSEA website for advise.

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 19-Jun-15 22:32:50

Statements have been replaced by Edcation Health and Care Plans (EHCP). Ideally to get ine you'd need to already have had various assessments and medical diagnosis and have kept good records of all these things.

In your shoes i'd contact the local families information service and ask for the SEN advisor. You could also contact the local council,schoolsadmission inclussion team and be honest with them.

Will your current school offer support by calling in an educational psychologist this term or providing reports?

worriedmother2073 Fri 19-Jun-15 22:44:24

yes, MisForMumNotMaid the current school will provide reports. They have done numerous tests and i have medical diagnoses letters coming out of my ears!

RedandYellow24 Fri 19-Jun-15 22:50:31

Are all of these new diagnoses? So the school have done tests but not yer provided any extra support or care? If they have been provide the extra then these reports would enable you to show what she needs.

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 19-Jun-15 22:51:41

It varys by administrative area how these things are handled but I know my county have a review meeting monthly so the last submission date is end of June for a July review meeting then if approved for assessment that takes some weeks- including time for you to review.

So assessment by Sept is not necessarily achievable but to be under assessment just about is - you can download the application for assessment online but do get help off the SEN boards filling it out. Mine went in with a 20plus page additional info document plus all the diagnosis paperwork.

Sometimes I find it helps to work out what you want to achieve and then look at all the ways of doing that. It sounds like an EHCP may well be a possibility but are you after it to get extra support in mainstream school because you should be able to be allocated that without the EHCP.

If your finances have changed drastically and you haven't preciously been claiming DLA its another thing to consider.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 20-Jun-15 20:20:07

"It sounds like an EHCP may well be a possibility but are you after it to get extra support in mainstream school because you should be able to be allocated that without the EHCP."

I wouldn't bet on getting great support unless you have a EHCP in place. Schools are very short on TA funding this year and are making TAs redundant left, right and centre. A bottom set high needs class may end up with only one TA for ALL of them, for example. It comes as a shock to parents that things are very different in secondary if they have been used to 1-1 in primary.

Schrodingersmum Sat 20-Jun-15 21:58:42

Sorry but you have Zero chance, at best an EHC takes 20 weeks. We applied on January 5th and still have not got as far as provisional plan let alone one in place.

Try talking to your local special needs dept for advice and what their local offer is and post on the special needs section where everyone is supportive and may offer further advice

PolterGoose Sat 20-Jun-15 22:07:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MisForMumNotMaid Sat 20-Jun-15 22:19:11

The funding/ budgeting for 1-1 support changed with very little publicity last April(2014). Now schools at primary have to provide the first dedicated 12 hours and at Secondary its 16hours. Even with a full time 1-1 on the EHCP, the school have to fund the first 12/ 16 hours.

There seams to be no change in schools budgets to reflect this. They have an SEN allowance but they had that when County supplied the 1-1 needs based funding. Even with an EHCP the school have to provide the first 12/ 16 hours funding.

The thing is if you don't ask you're unlikely to get. You have to be the advocate for your child and no doubt will do what ever you can to ensure your child gets what they need.

If you can get to the point you have an EHCP accepted for review you should be at a point you can start support negotiations.

We're all starting from a point of no support so nothing to loose by trying.

zzzzz Sat 20-Jun-15 22:28:43

You may find it hard to get an ehcp at all. Certainly not in the time scales you describe. If you were going for in year admission you might have a better chance of the school you want. This would mean keeping her on for an extra term at her present school and applying after Xmas.
You can apply for assessment attaching all your reports for assessment for ehcp (LA) yourself and get your present school to support you through the process.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now