Talk

Advanced search

Revision Material Recommendations Needed (Maths and Science)

(14 Posts)
imnottoofussed Tue 16-Jun-15 16:16:42

DD is currently year 9 but I believe they are doing the GCSE curriculum already as the class is quite advanced she is studying level 8 material in Maths not sure for Science - definitely high level 7, she has asked for some revision materials specifically for Maths and Science - can anyone recommend anything as I don't want to waste money on worthless materials. I've also told DD to ask the teachers at school but thought I might find some advice on here as well.

swashbucklecheer Tue 16-Jun-15 16:21:51

I find the cgp revision books very good. If you can find out which spec she will be doing there will be a book to match it

swashbucklecheer Tue 16-Jun-15 16:23:01

Oh and they are much cheaper than some other revision books

imnottoofussed Tue 16-Jun-15 21:29:07

Thanks DD said they have used CGP ones at school so I'll check which ones and order them

ihatethecold Tue 16-Jun-15 21:57:45

Bitesize is a useful website.

Rivercam Tue 16-Jun-15 22:09:04

Go to Waterstones or W H Smith. They have a huge range of revision guides.

imnottoofussed Wed 17-Jun-15 07:34:01

Fab thanks for replies

TeenAndTween Wed 17-Jun-15 08:08:31

Our Oxfam books shop has a section for revision guides. Worth asking if you have one as the GCSE ones will be starting to drip in. (We're keeping all until after results!)

AuntyHisthamine Wed 17-Jun-15 08:22:09

Find out what exam board they are following then you can look up past and example papers on the Internet. They are free.
Ask the school Maths/Science dept if they have any suggestions for revision guides. DS' school buy them in bulk and sell them at cost price.
Is your DD doing double or triple science? Again find out which exam board and past papers are available on the Internet.
If DD is doing double science be prepared for a set of GCSEs at the end of the first year of GCSEs (round here it's Yr10- if your DD's school starts the syllabus early it may not be the end of yr10).

cakeisalwaystheanswer Wed 17-Jun-15 09:56:10

Another vote for CGP. They have a different book for each exam board and at about £5 each are incredibly good value.

EllenJanethickerknickers Wed 17-Jun-15 10:57:52

For maths the curriculum is changing this year so there might not be an exact match to your DD's course yet. Do you know which syllabus/exam board they'll be doing? A quick email to her maths teacher should sort it, if not.

PastSellByDate Wed 17-Jun-15 14:57:10

These are all free web-based resources:

Science:

Khan academy: www.khanacademy.org/science

BBC Bitesize GCSE: www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/zrkw2hv

MIT K-12 (from students at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, USA) - videos explaining all sorts of science facts.

TED Ed Science Talks (spin off of TED Talks): short videos on aspects of science: ed.ted.com/lessons?category=science-technology

And because he is just funny and enthusiastic watch some of the great experiments on Smarter Every Day: www.youtube.com/channel/UC6107grRI4m0o2-emgoDnAA

---------------

Maths:

TED Ed (from TED Talks) maths videos - short clips discussing aspects of mathematics: ed.ted.com/lessons?category=mathematics

For help with algebra or algebra in the real world: Get the Math (www.thirteen.org/get-the-math/

BBC Bitesize GCSE Maths: www.bbc.co.uk/education/subjects/z6pfb9q

Khan Academy Maths; www.khanacademy.org/math - use menu and search under topic.

Corbett Maths/ Corbett Maths 5 a day: corbettmaths.com/ - videos help explain how to perform calculations and there are 5 a day practice worksheets with worked answers for more practice.

CIMT (Centre for Innovation in Maths Teaching, Plymouth) GCSE materials: www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mepres/allgcse/allgcse.htm - there are workbooks (and at least for KS3 which DD1 is using now, they also provide explanation & worked examples) - you may need to approach them to access answers (they'll provide a password).

HTH

SecretSquirrels Wed 17-Jun-15 15:29:46

The current year 9 will be doing the new style GCSE. No doubt much of the same material will be in there but I wouldn't waste too much on old spec guides at this stage. I am sure they will all be updated to cover the new curriculum soon.

kscience Wed 17-Jun-15 20:55:58

The best thing about science is that the basic principles don't change and there are certain things that need to be understood before you can move forward e.g. chemistry structure of the atom and bonding.

I would also recommend a website www.my-gcsescience.com/ Videos of taught lessons that are factually correct and clearly presented. Core videos are free - also a search on youtube finds them.

Also be aware that GCSE changes are occurring at different times for subjects. DD will be taking the current GCSE's (we start all pupils on GCSE at year 9 and our current year 8 will be our first guinea pigs). store.aqa.org.uk/resources/science/AQA-SCIENCE-GCSE-TIMELINE.PDF

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now