Talk

Advanced search

DS thinks he's flunked an A2

(20 Posts)
cathcustard Sun 14-Jun-15 21:07:35

DS2 has it all mapped out; a gap year doing something he's always wanted to do, has been saving for years, with a deferred place at Uni. 2 offers, one aspirational and second more achievable.

But, he feels that he's done really badly in one subject as in possibly failed. He did badly in that subject in AS so resat, but again feels that he's unlikely to get above a D. He needs a C minimum.

One option that's been suggested is to go on his year off but come back at Easter & go to a Crammer. Do other students do this? Is it a good idea?

I'd be interested in any thought or opinions. This whole process is confusing me.

00100001 Sun 14-Jun-15 21:13:23

I think he should just wait for his results!
If he's a few marks off a C, then ask for a remark if the school agree.
Speak to the uni on results day where the offers were made. They might still accept him smile

If he's on the 'low' end of a D he probably won't pass if he's already been working hard. So resitting might not be a realistic option .

cathcustard Sun 14-Jun-15 21:17:03

Thanks 0010, I didn't know you couldn't resit.
It's so grim for him.

SallyMcgally Sun 14-Jun-15 21:19:40

Oh your poor DS. It's such an ancxious time. DSD didn't do brilliantly at A level and didn't get the required grades, but still got a place on her course at a RG Uni, as it was undersubscribed. So you never know. Fingers crossed.

cathcustard Sun 14-Jun-15 21:22:32

Thanks Sally fingers crossed. I'm not sure if they'd be lenient with a deferred place. Wish it was all over.

Dressingdown1 Sun 14-Jun-15 21:25:00

Both my dc missed the required grade in one subject at A2 and still got into their first choice uni, so I wouldn't panic. It could well work out fine.

00100001 Sun 14-Jun-15 21:25:50

You can resit smile

I just mean that it's not worth the stress and hassle of resitting if a) he gets his place anyway and b) he might not be capable of getting a C grade (I don't mean that in a horrible way!) if his result in August is a 'low' D grade for example. Is he capable? if he is and it is the difference between getting the course he wants or not, then go for a resit.

But he probably did better than he though, and might be accepted anyway smile

SallyMcgally Sun 14-Jun-15 21:27:46

I'd double-check about the re sitting. As a private candidate he might be able to. My understanding is that it's schools who can't boost their performance data with resits. DSD got onto that course with a D in her third subject - meant to say.

lougle Sun 14-Jun-15 21:28:39

It depends what subject also -the OCR chemistry A2 (first paper) was so hard this year that very low marks may still get a good grade, for instance.

cathcustard Mon 15-Jun-15 08:29:48

It's maths. He's predicted AAC, but he thinks ABD will be the outcome.
His offer is ABC.

00100001 Mon 15-Jun-15 10:45:29

Well, time will tell smile

Needmoresleep Mon 15-Jun-15 11:41:54

Plenty go to crammers. Some because they missed their grades. Others because they have changed their minds about what they want to do and so end up taking, say, Physics A2 and FM AS in a year.

The experience of someone who did the latter was astonishment that how quickly you could learn with very focussed teaching and small classes.

Dont write off the results yet, but worth developing a plan B so you can offer your DS reassurance that one poor result is not the end of the world. Life includes disappointments and the ability to pick yourself up and get back on track, or revise your track constructively, is an important skill.

You should look at tutor agency websites. This is an example of one. The issue seems to be that the school's report on the UCAS form needs to show evidence of Academic progress, eg the tutor agency need to be able to say, that from the evidence of a couple of months teaching, Johnny is really quite a talented mathematician and we expect him to get at least a B. Note also the option of taking CIE (the international A level board) in November. Depending on syllabus, switching board may be feasible. Both my DC have taken some exams with CIE, though at the same time as their other exams and not maths. Universities seem to accept them without problem.

cathcustard Mon 15-Jun-15 12:49:18

Thanks Need, that's exactly what we need, plan B just in case.

We'll have a look at Tutor Agency websites, it could be a good option.
I've never heard of CIE, but it's worth a read.

Needmoresleep Mon 15-Jun-15 13:56:02

Though probably won't work as you woudl have to retake all AS maths modules as well.

CIE seems another oddity, mainly taken by overseas students. I think it involves setting different papers for different time zones so students in Hong Kong can't phone their friends in Dubai and warn them what is coming up. CIE English iGCSE seems to be increasingly popular with London private schools.

hattierose Wed 17-Jun-15 17:53:32

Have just joined Mumsnet in similar despair. The OCR A2 Chemistry went badly for DS and now the OCR A2 Biology has just wiped the floor with him. He's allegedly a good candidate and I'm off work with a broken arm so spent the last three days testing him and he knew his stuff ... but he said the paper focused on AS topics instead: nothing on muscles, behaviours, DNA etc etc. I understand there have been complaints about the Chemistry but he's in bed and miserable and I can't persuade him that his life isn't over. We were going out tonight to celebrate the end of exams for which he has worked hard but he doesn't feel like it. Now what?

minionwithdms Wed 17-Jun-15 20:17:28

Most of the students in my year are convinced that they've randomly decided to ramp up the difficulty of all maths and science exams this year. It's horribly crushing when you've worked so hard, and the papers don't even resemble past ones. I'm just hoping the grade boundaries will reflect this.

hellsbells99 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:32:27

I agree with minion confused
Hopefully low grade boundaries.

hattierose Wed 17-Jun-15 22:23:40

Thank you for making us feel less alone, although still despairing. Would love to know what OCR are trying to achieve. Surely it's not this? If only they'd chosen a wider range of topics for the paper so candidates could show how they understand the connections across the subject.

SallyMcgally Wed 17-Jun-15 23:45:21

thanks your poor DS hattierose . I remember sobbing after a Finals Exam, and then finding out I'd actually done v well in it. You can't always judge when you're the one sitting it.

hattierose Thu 18-Jun-15 07:38:41

Thank you! New morning and things to be positive about:
1. DS actually knows all the stuff in Biology and Chemistry so that's been two years well spent whatever the results.
2. No point in worrying til we know what the results are - might be good, might be bad but waste of energy to simply worry.
3. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD. He is bright, he works hard, he is kind ... what's not to celebrate.
4. He want to be a vet but it's a profession with a very high suicide rate and not so hot prospects so maybe this is fate taking a hand.
5. He is only 18 ... if he has to do retakes and then go to university, statistically, he should do better than if he went straight there.
6. I am on painkillers for the arm and they seem to have the same effect as a gin and tonic!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now