Talk

Advanced search

Maths tutoring

(14 Posts)
crumbleofblackberries Thu 11-Jun-15 20:32:20

I am thinking of setting up as a maths tutor in Worcestershire for students aged 11-16 in September. I am a qualified maths teacher with many years experience. Just wondering what hourly rate parents are paying at the moment.
Thanks.

dingit Thu 11-Jun-15 20:34:35

Surrey £30

crumbleofblackberries Thu 11-Jun-15 20:40:07

Thanks dingit. Any other areas?

TongueBiter Thu 11-Jun-15 20:40:54

Birmingham £20/hr

crumbleofblackberries Thu 11-Jun-15 20:42:42

Thanks. Do you go to the tutor or they come to you?

Sparklingbrook Thu 11-Jun-15 20:57:32

Worcestershire £20, tutor to the home.

GasLIghtShining Thu 11-Jun-15 21:23:20

BIL charges £20 but not on Worcestershire.

I am in Worcestershire and my DD went to a tutor about 4 years ago. He charged £10 if part of a group (4 max in group but often less) and £15 for one to one. I think this was amazing value and not the norm,

Tutor was good and just up the road from school so they (a number from the school used him) would walk round straight from school. Talking to others £20 is the norm.

profpoopsnagle Thu 11-Jun-15 22:04:12

IMO £20 is low.

I am in Derbyshire and charge £24/hr and that's on the lower side nationally, but fair for this area. I have 2 students come to me and 2 more which are less than a mile away. I am on M6 and my supply rate in schools is £27 ish.

Don't forget there will be prep time, and other overheads- you may need to buy in resources, printer ink for exam papers, possible travel etc. If you already work, then you also need to consider the extra tax.

dingit Thu 11-Jun-15 22:08:08

To his home, but it's for Additional maths, not sure if that makes a difference.

TongueBiter Thu 11-Jun-15 22:31:04

She came to our home - I had generally printed off past papers etc.

Perhaps it's a lower rate when it's not their only source of income?

HowDoesThatWork Fri 12-Jun-15 00:21:17

Derbyshire , £20 or £25/hr. At my house only.

Those that started at £20 have stayed on £20, new ones are £25

crumbleofblackberries Fri 12-Jun-15 18:15:00

Thanks everyone.

I pay £8.50 - £10 for 20minute musical instrument lessons for my DDs. As this equates to £25.50 - £30 per hour, I was thinking that £25 per hour was reasonable for maths tuition. I would also give a discount if a block of sessions was booked and paid for in advance.

I also plan to do individualised programmes of study depending on previous attainment or gaps in knowledge. Is this what parents want/students need?

GasLIghtShining Fri 12-Jun-15 20:58:03

I left it to my DD to sort out with tutor what she wanted to do and also bearing in mind she was normally in a group as well. They would say which parts they didn't understand (quite often what had already been taught at school that week) and he would go through it again for them.

My DD was in Y11 at the time so mature enough to deal with it herself.

profpoopsnagle Fri 12-Jun-15 22:05:33

I always have an initial meeting, which is free in which I ask for areas they need help in. I then plan lessons with 2-4 areas of help and see how it goes. Sometimes I plan but the student says I need x and if possible I change it to x (if I can't then that's the next lesson). I do a little mental test with all students- I find this a) keeps topics ticking over and b) highlights future topics.

I would suggest to you possibly taking on Y5 and Y6 students as well- IMO there's a bigger demand for these ages than Y7-8.

If you are on FB, there is a Maths tutor group to join, which will help you to talk to other tutors. PM me if you can't find it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now