Talk

Advanced search

When to get teachers involved

(9 Posts)
LucasNorthsTwiglets Fri 22-May-15 09:47:56

DD (Y7) has had a few incidents with another girl being unpleasant to her and her friends. She told DD to fuck off, has formed a 'we hate <DD's friend>' club, etc. It's all fairly petty stuff and there's been nothing physical so I've told DD to just try and ignore. Does there come a point when I should tell DD to get a teacher involved though? She went in today and was really nervous about this girl sad But its not like primary where teachers can get involved in every little dispute... Where's the line at secondary?

MrsSquirrel Fri 22-May-15 09:54:37

IIWY I would have a word with her form tutor. It's making dd nervous and worried. Yes it's stupid and childish, but it's not just a dispute, it's bullying.

Bunbaker Fri 22-May-15 09:58:16

It's psychological bullying and in year 7 is much easier to deal with. DD had this problem in year 7 and the learning mentor dealt with it very effectively.

It gets harder to deal with in year 10 upwards because the perpetrators build up resentment and there are repercussions.

LucasNorthsTwiglets Fri 22-May-15 10:08:48

Thanks, I'll drop her form tutor an email. It's hard finding that balance between teaching them to manage problems by themselves but knowing when to ask for help!

BringBackCabinPressure Fri 22-May-15 10:24:59

Most of my "spare" time as a year 7 tutor was spent dealing with exactly these kind of problems - never got a lunch break, break, or my "frees"!

Yes drop the form tutor an email or a quick ring. Very very common in yr 7 especially near the end of the year when they are feeling confident in the school so are pushing boundaries of behaviour - so needs sorting now. smile

Charis1 Sat 23-May-15 06:31:18

I agree, best tackled early rather than later. I would have wanted to know before now, as a tutor.

MayPolist Sun 24-May-15 22:25:53

Of course it is bullying! a 'we hate xxxxx' club is just horrid.Girls bully very differently from boys.It is rarely physical, and often not even verbal.It is (often random) social exclusion.

BossWitch Sun 24-May-15 22:31:32

Yeah just email form tutor. Schools all have anti bullying policies in place so it should be a fairly easy one to get sorted out. Best to get it resolved before end of term so that it doesn't carry on into year 8.

Fluffcake Mon 25-May-15 17:10:57

Contact form tutor - needs to be nipped in the bud.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now