Talk

Advanced search

Advices on independent/private near surbiton please

(18 Posts)
SparklyOnTheInside Mon 04-May-15 10:12:24

Hi, DD will be starting year 7 in September, she's on waiting lists for state schools and we are going to appeal for our first choice.

However, a relative has hinted that they may want to pay for her to go private. I'm looking around but I wondered if anyone could give me advice?

DD is not sporty, has a mild learning difference (similar to dyslexia) but is very academically able although not socially confident.

Any advice is very welcome!

TeddTess Mon 04-May-15 10:14:27

Surbiton High

not sure how you'll get in for yr7 in september only applying now though...

TeddTess Mon 04-May-15 10:15:08

MaryMount Kingston
St Catherine's Twickenham (get 281 bus to Teddington Lock and walk down Strawberry Vale/Cross Deep)

SparklyOnTheInside Mon 04-May-15 10:29:53

Thank you for replying smile i always thought Surbiton High was very sport oriented? Need to check it out I suppose.
I will ring them up and ask if there are still year 7 places, and will look at the other two as well..
Poor DD is finding the waiting list/appeal thing very stressful so it would be nice to give her some good news eventually!

TeddTess Mon 04-May-15 11:32:36

it is sporty but plenty of non sporty girls are happy there ime. also lots of extra support classes if required.
it is big though. the other two might suit your dd better.

DontWorryBeHappyNow Mon 04-May-15 12:53:08

By all means ring them up, but be aware that they have a long waiting list of girls who did sufficiently well in the entrance examinations and interviews in Year 6, so you won't get a place for this September.

SparklyOnTheInside Mon 04-May-15 13:22:06

i will ring round (when I know for sure that DD is getting the money)

Not going on anymore waiting lists though.. We've had awful experiences already. If Surbiton High is full then I will cross it off the list smile

Thanks for the advice!

DontWorryBeHappyNow Mon 04-May-15 13:26:43

I don't think you'd even be able to go on the waiting list as she hasn't gone through the selection process. Pretty sure the same applies for the other schools mentioned above too. Sorry!

DontWorryBeHappyNow Mon 04-May-15 13:30:48

Maybe look at Hampton Court House? Not for everybody, but I know a girl there who loves it. I think their admissions process is different and they may have a place.

SparklyOnTheInside Mon 04-May-15 17:28:42

I'll keep looking, thank you smile

Pop1ns Mon 04-May-15 20:33:30

DD could stay where she is and try KGS at 13.

BeaufortBelle Mon 04-May-15 21:13:53

Could you try somewhere like Felton Fleet for a couple of years to give yourselves some time? Notre Dame Cobham? Out a bit to Frensham Heights?

IHavemyownLighthouseyouknow Tue 05-May-15 14:28:25

Notre Dame would probably fit the bill and I think they have coaches that run from Surbiton to Cobham (otherwise it's a horrible drive in the mornings and no public transport is available).

Or Claremont Fan Court in Esher?

SparklyOnTheInside Tue 05-May-15 20:56:10

Thank you everyone, lots of advice to check out (got to love Mumsnet grin it's fab)
We just need to make sure we will get the money..

springrain Tue 05-May-15 22:41:45

Are you sure there are no strings attached to the fees being paid by relative? Plus confident they would be happy to pay for 5 or 7 years of fees? II would want to be really sure that this would work before raising the subject with DD. Will SCC let you go on more waiting lists for other schools near you to improve your chances of a state place as well.

MrsSchadenfreude Wed 06-May-15 23:37:47

Notre Dame is supposed to be quite nurturing. How about St George's at Weybridge? ACS Cobham?

SparklyOnTheInside Thu 07-May-15 11:31:10

The relative is still deciding if they want to do it (they were going to set aside a lump sum for the whole of DDs schooling) so I'm just looking around at the various options while we wait.. There are probably going to be a few strings attached but nothing too awful.

It's all waiting at the mo.. Waiting lists.. Waiting for decisions..

I will update though smile

SparklyOnTheInside Thu 23-Jul-15 08:26:53

So, the end result.. The relative offered the money (verbally) to DD but has since changed their mind.

Totally fine about the non-funding, I just wish that DD had not been made aware of the possibility of more options for school.

Our first choice appeal failed, sadly.

DD is going to attend a new school not too far away from where we are.

Thanks for the advice and support smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now