Talk

Advanced search

Sixth Form Boarding School

(5 Posts)
jadeyang66 Fri 01-May-15 06:02:40

My DD has been offered two boarding places in Headington school and St Mary's Calne for Sixth Form. We are from Malaysia however she speaks English fluently as her first language. Any views on these two schools?

Millymollymama Fri 01-May-15 18:05:23

My DD is very friendly with a girl from St Mary's Calne. This is right out in the countryside whilst Headington is just a short bus ride from the centre of Oxford. I cannot comment on the education and life in these schools, but Oxford may well offer lots more to do and see. I would check on what is on offer at weekends and whether lots of girls go home. I suspect both attract quite a lot of local girls, so make sure the boarding is what you want at weekends and not too lonely.

Needmoresleep Fri 01-May-15 19:22:51

Apa khabar! You dont say what age your daughter is. if 16, Oxford would be probably be my choice.

I don't now either school but there was a recent thread on St Mary's Calne which raised some warning flags. You should seach to find it. I remember it because I know someone who used to work there and who said similar. However the problems may be resolved or being resolved.

jeanne16 Fri 01-May-15 20:07:40

A friend's daughter went to Headington and enjoyed it and did very well. It is very easy to get there from Heathrow Airport which is a big plus for girls coming in from abroad. They were a little disappointed with the weekend activities for boarders as they were regularly cancelled due to insufficient demand. I think this is common now at boarding schools as so many boarders go home at weekends.

summerends Sat 02-May-15 06:55:54

jadey I'm not sure what subjects your DD wants to do, I assume she has decided not to do IB (Headington offers that). Headington is strong for the sciences whilst St Mary's Calne has at least previously had the reputation to be relatively stronger in the humanities than sciences.

At sixth form most DCs will want more freedom to do their own thing and Headington / Oxford would provide more opportunities for that. That counterbalances the advantage of a full boarding environment for St Mary's Calne where it won't just be predominantly international pupils around at weekends and there is Saturday school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now