Talk

Advanced search

Grammar schools near harrow

(16 Posts)
Deepthialoor Sat 14-Mar-15 14:29:37

Hi,
My daughter is in year 3 right now. We stay in Harrow. We are really confused as to which grammar school should we aim as we don't come into the catchment area. We are ready to move the house for a good school. Could anybody please suggest??

OP’s posts: |
notquiteruralbliss Sat 14-Mar-15 15:37:10

Your daughter could sit the Buckinghamshire 11 plus which would give you Dr Challoners Girls near Chalfont & Latimer station or Chesham Grammar, near Chesham station, both on the Met Line. You would probably have to move into catchment for Challoners but may be OK where you are for Chesham.

Woahbodyforrrrm Sat 14-Mar-15 15:53:29

Or Watford Girls. I grew up in Pinner and some local people went to Watford Grammar.

Spatial Sat 14-Mar-15 15:57:04

Bucks eg Dr Challoners or North London/Herts ones. eg Henrietta Barnett

TheFirstOfHerName Sat 14-Mar-15 15:57:20

For actual grammar schools, Buckinghamshire is probably the nearest county that has any.

If you don't mind partially selective state schools, then some of the schools in the South West Herts consortium either take a few children out of county (Parmiter's) or have no catchment area for academic places (Clement Danes).

Spatial Sat 14-Mar-15 16:05:07

Try these as well:

Dame Alice Owen, Potters Bar
Beaconsfield High School
Watford Girls Grammar
Parmiters Watford

TheFirstOfHerName Sat 14-Mar-15 18:05:25

Some HA postcodes come within the 'rest of admissions area' for Watford Girls.

Dancergirl Sun 15-Mar-15 23:23:49

You could try Henrietta Barnett. It has no catchement and lots of girls come from the Harrow area.

MillyMollyMama Sun 15-Mar-15 23:52:49

Bucks grammar schools are easier to get into than Henrietta Barnet. I would not assume you could get into Chesham grammar from Harrow! Look at how allocations were made on the Bucks CC web site.

notquiteruralbliss Mon 16-Mar-15 13:35:17

MillyMollyMama - do you know where the cutoff is now geographically? There are kids in older years who come in from Harrow?

Spatial Mon 16-Mar-15 19:34:57

OP has said she can move, so I don't think catchment is necessarily relevant to where she is living now.

Deepthialoor Thu 19-Mar-15 17:17:05

Thank you for the replies! I heard about henrietta Barnett and Watford grammar school ( for this we have to move, I guess ). Didn't know about Dr Challoners. I have to look into the Chesham grammar school too.
Thanks for the options. Will definitely look into them!

OP’s posts: |
MillyMollyMama Thu 19-Mar-15 17:21:07

I have not looked at Dr Challoners High recently but the schools or the LA will carry information about the geographical extent of admissions. It changes year on year though. If you can move, OP, it is always better to in or very near, the catchment area for certainty.

TheFirstOfHerName Fri 20-Mar-15 11:42:06

Dr Challoners is about to have a change of headteachers I think.

mumongo Tue 26-May-20 23:57:56

Hi, Regarding the 11+ exams is it worth ordering the test material online? it is a bit expensive around £100, I'm not too sure if it's worth it. Has anyone tried something like this?

Mustbetimeforachange Fri 29-May-20 22:36:02

This is s very old thread. Maybe try the eleven plus exams forum or start your own thread?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in