Advanced search

Anyone else waiting for offers day - March 2nd here?

(524 Posts)
cece Sun 22-Feb-15 11:12:08

We have put an out of catchment school as first choice. Second choice is our catchment school. Some years we would get into our first choice, some years we would not. So we are anxiously awaiting the email...

minifingers Sun 22-Feb-15 14:06:31


Have only put down three very oversubscribed schools.

Really want our first choice as he's been offered a music scholarship (but no guaranteed place - so confusing!).

Really really wishing this week away.

miffyandsnoopy Sun 22-Feb-15 14:37:09

Yes! I am dreading it, we have 3 schools in our town and we have put the one furthest from us, also the oversubscribed popular one first and the one nearest to us the one with a bad reputation and poor results last. My child really has his heart set on his first choice, and I keep trying to prepare him for the inevitable, and play it down. I do believe we may have grounds for appeal so plan to go down that route if the offer is as I expect. But still.... cant wait to get this process over with!

tiggytape Sun 22-Feb-15 16:53:49

Good luck to everyone waiting.
Hopefully you will all get the outcome you want next week

If it isn't great news though remember, this is the start of the allocations process not the end.
Waiting lists will be held and they do move a lot at many schools.
Appeals can be made for multiple schools if you wish.
With any luck you will get the school you want straight away and be able to forget about it until the induction days but if not, don't panic. These things generally work out just fine.

cece Sun 22-Feb-15 16:55:19

I won't mind the second choice one, as DD is already there and doing really well. But the one we have put as first choice just suits DS1 much better. He is very different to DD and he is more challenging lively.

ragged Sun 22-Feb-15 16:59:33

Dreading it because it reminds me DS is going & I'm sure secondary will be a disaster, wherever he goes.

TheFirstOfHerName Sun 22-Feb-15 17:00:00

Yes, waiting to hear about two places:

DS3: feeling confident we will get first choice (sibling).

DD: feeling hopeful we will get first choice (cross-sibling) but willing to wait on continuing interest list if we don't.

tiggytape Sun 22-Feb-15 17:01:22

cece - That's a good position to be in and you may even end up with a direct choice.
If you get offered your 2nd preference on March 2nd, you will be happy with it but you could end up also getting offered your 1st preference from the waiting list in the summer. If this happens, you normally only have a week or so to tell them which one you will go for (stick with the original offer or take the new one).
People often think about worst case scenarios but sometimes actually end up with the choice of two that they like so it is worth giving it some thought if you get your second choice and are high on the waiting list for the first choice.

MirandaWest Sun 22-Feb-15 17:02:46

We're waiting. Have applied to the catchment school and can't see any reason why DS won't get in but will still be good to know.

mankyscotslass Sun 22-Feb-15 17:02:50

We are - we only had two choices really, so hoping for the one DD wants most, though she would be OK really with either.

The one we put first is the all girls school with a good reputation for academics and building confidence in the sciences. The other is the new build community mixed school, specialising in performing arts and sport, which is still trying to build itself up after amalgamating two failing schools - the facilities are impressive and the results are slowly improving, but the teachers admit that it's trial and error there at the moment, and I don't want DD to be a guinea pig.

I keep thinking I filled the online application out incorrectly - DH dd the last one for DS1!

Last time round with DS1 there seemed to be a lot more angst - the children and the parents- but DD's friends all seem pretty chilled about it.

cece Sun 22-Feb-15 17:09:48

I guess I am lucky that I am OK with our second choice, which is what I expect to be given. I will, however, go on the waiting list for our first choice and see what happens.

TBH I think it's unlikely we will get into 1st choice. I have a friend who lives in catchment who has been told she will probably have to go into the waiting list as it is very popular...

tiggytape Sun 22-Feb-15 17:11:26

ragged - secondary is a lot better for many children than primary. The schools are usually much bigger (which sounds bad) but therefore more experienced in offering all sorts of support. There is more structure but also more variety and a much broader range of potential friends. Many who dread it find it is actually very positive.

ragged Sun 22-Feb-15 17:20:32

You haven't met DS, Tiggy. grin
Gosh I wish I had the luxury of just worrying whether it was a good school or not.

ChippyMinton Sun 22-Feb-15 17:23:34

3rd and final sibling waiting here. She will probably get a place at her older sibs school but it's by no means guaranteed due to distance, oversubscription etc. However she has her heart set on a different school, which we put down as second choice. The plan is to accept whichever is offered and go on waiting list for the other. That way, if she gets a place off the waiting list, she will have a genuine choice to make.

18yearstooold Sun 22-Feb-15 17:30:26

Sibling priority here and we are only half a mile away from the school so no concerns about dd2

A lot of her friends are out of catchment though so she's worried about being separated from her friends -I don't see that as necessarily a bad thing

Dd1 made a whole new set of friends when she went to high school even though she went with existing friends so i'm quite relaxed about it all

ChippyMinton Sun 22-Feb-15 17:32:14

Ragged, once you have an offer, maybe find out what the induction process is like and who else is going from his primary?

sunnydayinmay Sun 22-Feb-15 17:32:56

Part selective area here - DS1 should have a high enough score gor his 1st choice, but no guarantee. He won't get in on distance, and has his heart set on it so fingers crossed.

He has actually put them in his order of preference, which is against general thinking around here, so the most sort after school is second on his list. His first choice is most people's third choice. Hope this plays in our favour.

And, yes, it is very complicated...

tiggytape Sun 22-Feb-15 17:50:45

That's good advice Chippy. Whether it is social concerns or additional needs or medical needs, secondary schools will usually have very good systems in place for inductions and settling new children in. It can be very reassuring to contact the school to discuss this in May or June when most inductions take place.

TheFirstOfHerName Sun 22-Feb-15 18:00:24

sunnydayinmay do you live in S W Herts? Many of my friends with firstborns in Y6 are quite concerned to find out where the cut-off scores will fall after last year's jump.

sunnydayinmay Sun 22-Feb-15 18:07:01

Yes, SW Herts. It is going to be interesting. We have 262, with R as first choice, then WGB and then StCD.

I know a 282, 280, 273 etc... All after the grammers.

graceM Sun 22-Feb-15 18:12:52

Hi, well I'm waiting for offers day but for primary school, not secondary, but as I already have a ds at secondary I understand how it can be an anxious time. For me at present I have my daughter in year 4 at an out of catchment catholic primary, I've applied for my ds to go to the same school but despite being siblings we are classed as out of catchment so aren't priority two, we are priority four so it really is 50/50 as to whether my ds will get a place, I'm on tenterhooks, and I have to wait until April to find our argh!!!! lol.

TheFirstOfHerName Sun 22-Feb-15 18:37:40

262 is a great score. Well done to your DS. smile

We have put WG first (sibling) and R second (distance).

TheFirstOfHerName Sun 22-Feb-15 18:41:49

ragged I was dreading DS2's secondary transition. He has ASD and ADHD and he found primary school very challenging (and vice versa). Secondary school has been relatively smooth sailing. He is much happier and rarely gets into difficulty.

cece Sun 22-Feb-15 19:50:54

My DS1 has ADHD as well. I'm dreading how his behaviour is going to be perceived.

ragged Sun 22-Feb-15 19:54:51

DS doesn't have SN or medical needs, so those aren't factors in how he'll settle in.
He's a right royal PITA and adults often take a strong dislike to him.
One factor may be very different about secondary ... we don't have to deal (so much?) with parents who take a dislike & tell their offspring to dislike him. So other kids can decide for selves whether to be his friend.
If he actually makes friends, that will make a huge difference to whole rest of his experience.
But whatever... what will be will be.
I would rather dread it and have things turn out fine than the other way around, iyswim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now