Talk

Advanced search

Any comments on DD's option choices?

(18 Posts)
Madmog Fri 06-Feb-15 10:06:03

DD has chosen Music, Art textiles, Ethics & Philosophy (also know as RE & Life Studies in school), French and History. Does anyone have any comments, good or bad on these choices?

They do five options, but have to put down another option in case they are over subscribed - I think the sixth option will be Geography, Spanish or Drama. I suggested an ICT subject, but she really doesn't want to do one - she hates technology, even her mobile (luckily her friends are the same!).

nilbyname Fri 06-Feb-15 10:09:57

GCSEs?

What does she want to go on to do?

It's very arty/ no hard subjects?

lljkk Fri 06-Feb-15 10:19:28

What does she want for the reserve option?

You need to ask a specific question, like "Will Oxbridge be impressed?" which is the answer many MNers will give you, which might be irrelevant when you really want the answer to "Would that look fine for a PGCE course?" or "Would any ordinary 6th form turn her away for that mix?" or something else.

TeenAndTween Fri 06-Feb-15 10:21:53

Maths, 2xEnglish, 2xScience (assume)
History
French
That's 7 hard core subjects that also make up the 'ebacc'.

Ethics & Philosophy / RE - I think that's likely to be a good challenging course, though I have no knowledge over and above my DD's 0.5 RE course.

Music - harder than it sounds (ie not lightweight) from what I've heard
Art textiles - great if she is creative

Sounds fine to me.

However I think the 6th should depend on what would be dropped, ie
History or Ethics -> Geography
French -> Spanish
Music or Art -> Drama

This is of course assuming she wants to do a language and an essay subject etc and can cope with them.

(No special knowledge over and above a y11 DD)

Madmog Fri 06-Feb-15 11:53:26

TeenandTween, she will be doing Maths, Eng Lang and Eng Lit. Double or Triple Science will be decided in a few weeks.

She has reasons for all her main choices:

Music - she loves this lesson and plays the violin. She will spend up to a couple of hours practicing and trying to be creative with her current knowledge. She is very passionate about it.

Art Textiles, she likes the thought of Interior Design. Her present school would require a GCSE grade B in any art subject in order for her to do another/the same art subject in in sixth form. She likes the thought of interior design and school have told her to choose one of the art subjects.

Ethics - the subject she has the highest level in and feels she wants to have a really good go at doing well in this subject.

French, teacher has told her she could be capable of an A* (so a good result is possible) and she feels a MFL would be a good thing to do.

History - enjoys putting a lot into homework and gets good marks in return - has been known to get A**. Teacher reckons she's very capable and deserves her place in the top set.

She's spoken to Ethics, History and Geography teachers, looked at past exam papers and the main coursework book, so we're happy she has a reasonable insight into the coursework.

I personally think if she's doing music and art textiles, then drama would be too much in the way of the arts.

Jobwise - her ideas are fairly widespread, something to do with music, being an author (although thinks she will do this alongside a job) or interior design. She is quite interested in conservation and preservation of old buildings.

badRoly Fri 06-Feb-15 11:57:41

All the spiel we had at dc2's options evening was go for the EBacc subjects if they are able then a broad mix of subjects they enjoy and will do well in.

Don't go for subjects just because you like the teacher/your friends are picking them.

If she's doing triple science, that might be her last 'option'.

BirdintheWings Fri 06-Feb-15 14:41:56

I'd agree with you that music+art+drama would be too much. I know things are changing, but those three certainly used to be very, very coursework-heavy and time-consuming.

DS1 spent more time on art coursework than his other 8 subjects put together... and then dropped it for A-level. DS2 did music and drama, and found the rehearsals tended to clash.

NeedAScarfForMyGiraffe Fri 06-Feb-15 15:55:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lljkk Fri 06-Feb-15 16:23:40

Sounds like she'll easily get B+ in Music (art subject) so that's well-covered.

The spiel at DC's GCSE option evenings (2 different schools) has been

DON'T do what your parents want you to
DON'T do what your teachers want you to
DON'T do what your friends want you to

Do take what you think YOU want and will enjoy.

BackforGood Sat 07-Feb-15 15:28:40

I can't see how they are "not broad"

She's (possibly) got triple science; she's got 2 essay / put forward and argument subjects in RE and History; She's got an MFL; and she's got some arts in there too. Music is seen as very academic and also in the 'arts' umbrella. Sounds like a really well balanced selection to me.

SquidgyMaltLoaf Sat 07-Feb-15 15:42:35

Nilbymouth no hard subjects?!? Hahaha. With all due respect, you're wrong.

I think she's got very good reasons for doing all of them and sounds sensible. It's a good mix. I may be biased because this is pretty much what I did (albeit fifteen years ago) and I've never had anyone question my choices in the job market. I've certainly never found it an obstacle and have worked in a few different industries.

Madmog Sun 08-Feb-15 10:23:19

Thank you so much for your replies - I think she's nearly there with her choices - Music, Art Textiles, French, Ethics, History and Geography.

They are guaranteed to get their first two choices, so she'll put French and one of the humanities there for her Ebacc subjects.

The others will go in the last box and they'll get three of them, so she'll probably put the other humanity as the last choic, in that box. The music depart choose who continues dependent upon commitment, attending clubs and concerts, so she should get that. We'll argue it if she doesn't get Ethics - she's not a genius but just told me she's got the highest level in the year.

JudgeRinderSays Sun 08-Feb-15 14:52:01

I think that's fine.I don't understand why people are saying it isn't broad? What is missing?

Callooh Sun 08-Feb-15 15:25:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Clobbered Sun 08-Feb-15 15:29:33

Looks like a good spread to me. If she's happy, job done.

catslife Sun 08-Feb-15 17:24:26

Seems like a good mix to me too. A good mix of creative, essay based subjects and a MFL in addition to the compulsory subjects looks great.
I don't get the not very broad comment either. dcs don't have as broad a choice now due to new government requirements.

Coconutty Sun 08-Feb-15 17:30:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 08-Feb-15 17:37:23

It's a lot broader than Dd's choices which are art, graphic design, photography, german, double science, RS (compulsory) and maths, english.

I've been worried hers isn't broad enough but her HOY said she should do what makes her happy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: