Talk

Advanced search

Intermediate Maths Challenge

(13 Posts)
NeedAScarfForMyGiraffe Thu 05-Feb-15 18:42:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

darlingfascistbullyboy Thu 05-Feb-15 18:55:49

dd said it was much worse than last year too (which she reckoned was easier than they usually are). I've told her not to give it another thought (but it certainly isn't fun!).

noblegiraffe Thu 05-Feb-15 19:03:46

Last year results were emailed to schools within about a couple of weeks of the challenge.

NeedAScarfForMyGiraffe Thu 05-Feb-15 19:10:50

noblegiraffe Thu 05-Feb-15 19:12:58

I think maybe one of my Y11s did any preparation, and he just looked at the website last night.

It's not the sort of thing you can revise for.

Dragonlette Thu 05-Feb-15 20:00:58

My year 10s said it was really hard. Dd1 (also year 10) said she thought it was ok, not really any harder than last year but more shape questions than usual.

I don't think you can revise for it, BUT doing past papers does get you into the right mindset to know the sort of questions that come up.

TalkinPeace Thu 05-Feb-15 20:19:00

DS said it was stupid. Even the swots said it was a waste of time. They had an unofficial colouring competition.

Its not like it really matters for anything.

SilasGreenback Thu 05-Feb-15 20:42:42

Isn't the point about the maths challenge scoring that a certain percentage pass - so if it was a very hard paper, everyone will find it harder and the certificates will go to a lower mark band? She may well still get a silver or bronze.

Ds2 (yr9) seemed remarkably unfazed by it, but I think it was just done as part of a normal lesson. Ds1 ( yr10) didn't get to do it. Not sure if that is because he is in a low maths set or just because they didn't have maths today. Shame as he is much better at these than his end of year exams would suggest and he just missed a kangaroo in year 9.

NeedAScarfForMyGiraffe Thu 05-Feb-15 21:08:40

NeedAScarfForMyGiraffe Thu 05-Feb-15 21:10:46

OhYouBadBadKitten Thu 05-Feb-15 21:30:57

I think most kids don't take it seriously and instantly forget what almost every one else got. Dd said her friends found it hard, and thinks it probably was a harder paper than usual, certainly harder than last years. Don't worry, if it's the case they will adjust the thresholds.

Dragonlette Thu 05-Feb-15 22:31:28

Only top sets do it at my school too. We get roughly half of the top set getting certificates, so nobody stands out if they don't get one, the only people who stand out are the ones who get higher than the others.

experiencedoptimist Fri 06-Feb-15 13:07:58

They had an unofficial colouring competition.

Love that Talkin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: