Advanced search

DS13 daydreaming - how to help him

(3 Posts)
noarguments Mon 02-Feb-15 09:33:18

This is not new for him, but seems to be getting worse and affecting his work more and more. He's fine, engaged, contributes etc when being taught, but struggles to focus when set tasks to work on independently in class. Several teachers reporting this as an issue at parents evening. He's not chatting with mates, or being silly, just staring out of the window. He's like this at home too - is always having to be chivvied to do anything. He has always seemed to have a lot going on in his head - talks to himself, taps out rhythms all the time, is quite fidgety etc.
I'm getting a bit worried for him - I'm going to talk to school, but what can they do? Does anyone have any experience?
Thanks. flowers

noarguments Tue 03-Feb-15 08:04:49

Bump ... Anyone?

Ferguson Tue 03-Feb-15 19:21:32

I can't really help much, but there is a similar condition called "maladaptive daydreaming".

There is a lot about it on-line, and it's been known about for over ten years. Some of the web sites are rather 'freaky' though, so I warn you that in advance.

It still isn't recognised by the NHS though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now