Talk

Advanced search

music or art gcse

(8 Posts)
KathG Mon 26-Jan-15 15:11:40

I know this is a fortunate dilemma.

If your DC were in the lucky position of being encouraged to take both by the respective teachers, but slots available means they can only take one... which one? (Plays 2 instruments at G6 level, School art prize).

Advice please - the form needs to go in soon!

Longdistancenerves Mon 26-Jan-15 15:13:11

I would go music, that's what I did and I found having played to that level already the modules were simple (for want of a better word) and the teachers seemed invested in my learning, unlike those who took it as an 'easy' subject.

TheFirstOfHerName Mon 26-Jan-15 15:17:27

Music, just because I have heard offputting stories from other parents about the workload involved in GCSE Art.

VivaLeBeaver Mon 26-Jan-15 15:19:06

Whichever one they enjoy the most.

Cretaceous Mon 26-Jan-15 15:22:41

I would look at the syllabus carefully to see what is involved. Does it cover the area of the subjects that they enjoy?

Art takes a lot of ongoing commitment. Are her friends doing art? If not, DC might not be so keen to do the necessary work at lunchtime to produce a decent portfolio.

For music, if your DC is already doing two instruments, what will a GCSE add?

KathG Mon 26-Jan-15 21:22:00

Music will add composition. Debate goes back and forth...

Lolapopflower Mon 26-Jan-15 21:24:39

Art - I did both and enjoyed Art more. Music is something that can be continued outside of school as a hobby. Many friends have said their DC are struggling under the coursework involved in Music whereas art is somewhat more relaxed but will also not take the fun out of music for DC!smile

KathG Mon 26-Jan-15 22:11:45

thanks - that is helpful. I know that she will take a long time on her art, but she would be doing art anyway in addition to her GCSEs.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: