Advanced search

Bus from wimbledon to westminster

(22 Posts)
AxelFoley333 Sat 24-Jan-15 16:24:57

We live in wimbledon and would love to send our boy to Westminster school (if he gets in). Westminster do not run a bus, but have advised us that parents may have organised one from Wimbledon. Does anyone know of a private bus pickup for students of westminster that live in wimbledon? Or anyone who is living in wimbledon with children attending westminster?
Many thanks

Pop1ns Sat 24-Jan-15 16:36:25

What's wrong with KCS?

pineapplechick Sat 24-Jan-15 16:40:25

I'd have thought the most obvious way to get there would be by train to Waterloo? And then either walk across the bridge or tube?

Just out of interest, are you also considering KCS, or if not, why not? These are our top choices but we (DS) haven't decided yet what he'll do if he manages to get offers from both... Each appeals for different reasons!

LIZS Sat 24-Jan-15 16:42:02

District line ?

Needmoresleep Sat 24-Jan-15 17:16:17

Train to Vauxhall and then 88 or 87 bus.

LocalEditorMerton Sat 24-Jan-15 17:24:46

The 156 bus route goes from Wimbledon Town Centre to Vauxhall and then not a very long walk from there to Westminster School. However, it could take well over an hour (and possibly nearer two on a heavy traffic day), particularly in the morning.

amidaiwish Sat 24-Jan-15 17:27:32

You have one of the best schools in wimbledon. Seriously are you mad ? There are minuscule differences between all these schools.

omnishambles Sat 24-Jan-15 17:31:51

I would just stick him on the train. It would be much quicker and cheaper than a parents organised bus. If he was going for COLB you wouldn't expect a bus so why for Westminster?

GraceFox Sat 24-Jan-15 17:31:57

As LIZS said, what about the district line? Seems to be the easiest way.

omnishambles Sat 24-Jan-15 17:33:11

Indeed the District Line would even be free...

AuntieStella Sat 24-Jan-15 17:34:37

Do have a look around KCS.

Otherwise, get tube from Wimbledon to St James Park

granolamuncher Sat 24-Jan-15 17:35:32

The headmaster of KCS Wimbledon is proud that his school was named "Sunday Times Independent School of the Year" and he recently told the BBC that he considered "Tatler" to be "important". Those are two reasons to prefer Westminster. It's easy to get there by public transport.

AuntieStella Sat 24-Jan-15 17:35:34

Tube is nit free once age 11 (Zip card gets child fares).

AuntieStella Sat 24-Jan-15 17:36:03

'Nit free'!

I meant 'not free'

omnishambles Sat 24-Jan-15 17:44:03

Ah yes sorry, confusing with trams and buses. But at least theres no nits grin

AxelFoley333 Sat 24-Jan-15 17:45:47

thanks for everyones input in such quick order! I must apologise but our boy is too young for public transport on his own,, he is 7 and its for westminster under school. This should only be in the primary area, but thought some parents of older boys may know about the bus as well. Appreciate the input and yes, KCS is great too.

pineapplechick Sat 24-Jan-15 19:49:43

I just want to add that not every school is right for every child! There doesn't have to be anything "wrong" with KCS for someone to not consider it as an alternative to Westminster. Even if OP wasn't looking at WUS I know at least one very bright boy who would be a perfect fit at W but would stand out like a sore thumb at KCS! W appreciates "quirky" individuals that may be extremely bright in particular dimensions but not others, whereas KCS seem to look for more all-round bright students, that are also at ease socially. Traditional sports are also a much bigger presence at KCS (no rugby at W). Also, W allow laptops from the start for those who need them whereas KCS insist on handwritten work.

We feel that our DS would fit in well in both but I can totally see why someone who is less of an all-rounder might blossom more at Westminster. To be honest, this is one reason why we love this school - we'd love for him to continue to have "quirky" friends!

Michaelahpurple Sun 25-Jan-15 18:51:15

The buses vary depending on where the balance of boys live. There may be one that starts in Wimbledon. The school may be able to put you in co tact with the 2 companies that provide the parent-organised routes, but remover that they can vary. I can't imagine you would be the only ones coming from there.

TheCommoner Sun 25-Jan-15 18:55:31

Come over and join us on MN Local Merton. smile Our Local Editor has posted above...

wandymum Mon 26-Jan-15 13:18:57

Interesting what pineapplechick said about KCS v WUS.

We're wracking our nerves waiting for the 7+ results from KCS but sounds like WUS would have been a more natural fit for him as he is definitely 'quirky'. He has a reading age of 13 according to his school and is also quick at maths but is slightly immature socially and completely uncoordinated so useless at sports.

We did look at WUS but ruled it out as we thought that commute to school would make the day too long for him to handle aged 7. Plus, we have a DS in a local school so pick ups would have been a nightmare.

If KCS is a no (as I suspect based on the above) then we may give WUS a go at 8+ next year.

Best of luck OP and hope you get the school you want.

pineapplechick Mon 26-Jan-15 13:29:55

Wandymum, I think your son may well get in at KCS, and if it feels like a good fit for him then it probably will be! 7+ is very different from 13+ as a lot of boys will still be very immature so I wouldn't worry about that. I was thinking of more pronounced "quirkiness" such as various kinds of ASD with extremely high intelligence - but I mainly wanted to make the point that every school isn't right for every child, and just because someone lives in Wimbledon they may not be looking at KCS for whatever reason. No need for those of us who love KCS (me included) to take offense!

Mominatrix Mon 26-Jan-15 18:49:21

wandy - I too have a very quirky son who had a reading age double his calendar age, socially akward, and not at all sporty. Because of all of these traits, I thought that WUS would be the right schools for him. However, DS had other plans, and hated WUS (too small, not enough in terms of grounds,...). He sat KCS and another very similar school and passed both exams. He chose the other school, but that was only because it was close to home and he had a mate who was going there. The school he chose has the same or even more of a reputation for sports and all-rounders, so I was hesitant, but he loved it. 3 years in, and he is still loving it and thriving. Despite it not obviously catering towards the quirky, there are very quirky boys thriving who are not the publicly held stereotype of hyper-competitive sports fiends. When we saw KC, we were given a tour by a very "geeky" quirky sort of boy who was very positive about the school. These reports saying that such and such school is this and not that need to be taken with a pinch of salt. A school like KCJS is looking for a balanced intake, and from the experience of several friends with boys there, it is the kind of school where not just one kind of boy will thrive. GL, and I do hope everything works out for your DS.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now