Talk

Advanced search

Latin: which is considered the best course?

(35 Posts)
Bonsoir Fri 23-Jan-15 08:42:03

Anyone have any opinions on Cambridge Latin versus other courses?

LIZS Fri 23-Jan-15 08:45:59

Sadly I believe Cambridge is considered a bit old hat even though they have revamped it recently. ds' teachers write their own (HOD is a leader in the field).

Bonsoir Fri 23-Jan-15 08:49:58

Thanks LIZS. Anyone else?

funchum8am Fri 23-Jan-15 08:50:12

Is it for a class or an independent learner?

Bonsoir Fri 23-Jan-15 08:50:40

It's a choice by a school.

TheFirstOfHerName Fri 23-Jan-15 08:59:39

The Cambridge Latin Course leads nicely into the WJEC level 2 certificate in Latin language, which is equivalent to a GCSE and counted as such by universities.

Strengths of the CLC: there is a narrative to keep students interested, and they can start translating simple passages after a few lessons. There are many free online activities for each stage of the course, including vocab tests, grammar and translation exercises.

Weaknesses: the way it teaches grammar is by example rather than by logical theory. So students end up learning grammar in little bits in a not very logical order.

Bonsoir Fri 23-Jan-15 09:11:46

Thanks! I did two terms of Cambridge Latin (in 1978/79...) before moving school and taking up traditional Latin. I remember the vague approach to grammar and much preferring the subsequent structured approach.

What is WJEC?

titchy Fri 23-Jan-15 09:29:17

WJEC is the exam board.

Bonsoir Fri 23-Jan-15 09:34:42

Oh as in the Welsh exam board?

titchy Fri 23-Jan-15 09:54:29

Yes!

Lilymaid Fri 23-Jan-15 10:03:17

Caecilius est in horto

ChazsBrilliantAttitude Fri 23-Jan-15 10:19:15

The DC's prep school use this one for common entrance
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1902984005/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=569136327&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=190298403X&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=19KE3YHBYS9JS1ZKM1H3

It has good reviews.

Bonsoir Fri 23-Jan-15 13:01:32

I'm generally a fan of Galore Park text books.

Givemeabreakimtryingmybest Fri 23-Jan-15 13:08:50

I used CLC as it is so well supported but as TheFirstofHerName points out the grammar needs further reinforcement so I supplemented with "So you really want to Learn Latin" Combining the 2 really worked for my classes as I could dip in to the specific areas of grammar as necessary as we were going through the CLC - it made the whole experience less rigid and formulaic.

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 23-Jan-15 13:13:31

Marking my place to discuss the weaknesses mentioned with DD's latin teacher.

TalkinPeace Fri 23-Jan-15 13:50:35

DD did Cambridge Latin and then the WJEC which is actually two GCSEs one for Language, one for literature - I have her certificate
she loved it
sadly the Latin teacher has retired so the school dropped it as a subject

Bonsoir Fri 23-Jan-15 14:31:56

Are there any other GCSE level qualifications that complete CLC other than the WJEC certificate?

TheFirstOfHerName Fri 23-Jan-15 15:27:38

I think OCR do a Latin GCSE but I don't know how much overlap there is with the CLC syllabus.

TheFirstOfHerName Fri 23-Jan-15 15:36:38

DS1 has nearly finished CLC Unit 3 (book 3). He has gained a reasonable vocabulary of a few hundred words, an interest in ancient Roman culture, a limited knowledge of word endings (he can recognise most indicative verb endings and nouns in the nominative and accusative cases). The grammar weakness has resulted in a guess-and-hope approach to translation.

He would like to get a B or above in the WJEC Level 2 Core Latin Language exam in May.

We'll see...

LIZS Fri 23-Jan-15 16:06:51

Ds took OCR.

angelcake20 Fri 23-Jan-15 16:07:07

We used Ecce Romani in the 80s, which seems to still be on the go. I liked it but I think we were taught a lot of grammar and did a lot of translation exercises that were independent of the course. Year 7 DS is using CLC, which seems to have a lot more history and social stuff in English. They are whizzing through it and he is really enjoying it, to my surprise. 25-30% of the year do GCSE but I don't know which board. Lots of nostalgia for Dh, who also used it and can still quote a surprising amount, though I'd say I can remember a lot more than he can!

Pantah630 Fri 23-Jan-15 16:37:29

DS2 use CLC think they're mid book 4 now, he'll take OCR next year, and is on course for top grades. He has a good grasp of vocab and grammar but he has a natural talent for languages wish I did is taking Spanish to gcse, and has picked up Italian igcse to do as a twilight subject. They have a very good Latin teacher at the moment, it was a bit hit and miss in yr8 and he learnt more grammar on a 2 day MN Academy Latin course than he did at school, luckily what he learnt has stayed with him, again I wish I could say the same. envy

AtiaoftheJulii Fri 23-Jan-15 16:51:07

Dd1 did CLC and then the OCR GCSE. Ds was using Galore Park SYRWTL Latin in y7 and 8, don't know what he's using this year, and doesn't want to carry it on. CLC is much more appealing than the GP books!

Tinuviel Mon 26-Jan-15 00:08:40

DS1 started with CLC but then as I was unhappy with the way the grammar wasn't really covered logically we switched to Galore Park. However, he found that a bit dry on its own so we combined the two, which he really enjoyed. He got a B in the OCR GCSE and is now working towards AS. The Galore Park has certainly prepared him better for that.

TinklyLittleLaugh Mon 26-Jan-15 00:15:14

My DD's school had ditched OCR in favour of WJEC. I'm not entirely convinced she needs two GCSE's in Latin though.....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: