Advanced search

New style GCSE options (those sitting first batch of exams in 2017) query.

(4 Posts)
ryansbeat Sun 18-Jan-15 14:10:18

How important is it to have a MFL under the new style GCSE options which will come into force in 2017? My DS is currently in Year 9 and is choosing his GCSE options (due in tomorrow). They have to do Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Maths, Triple Science and then they can choose 4 others (of which a MFL is not a requirement). He is thinking of History, RS, Latin but needs to choose between Spanish and Geography. He enjoys them both although I think he is probably slightly better at Geography than Spanish. I'm aware that the only university requiring a MFL is UCL so is dropping Spanish going to hinder him in the future. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we need to try and finalise this tonight! Thank you in advance.

Decorhate Sun 18-Jan-15 16:04:05

I think you have to do a MFL to get the English bacc. But not sure if it is actually used for anything. I think if he did an MFL it would keep his options open but obv if he would struggle with it then there is no point. Personally I would prefer my dc's to do a language as long as possible as is a useful life skill

noblegiraffe Sun 18-Jan-15 16:13:20

Latin counts for the Ebacc.

catslife Sun 18-Jan-15 16:15:50

I think that Latin now counts as an EBacc subject OP, so no advantage is taking Spanish as well, especially if he would prefer Geography.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now