Advanced search

Less academic independent boys or co-ed schools in surrey

(21 Posts)
sleepingflower Fri 16-Jan-15 18:46:03

I am looking at options for my son for secondary schools. He is above average in English but average in maths and a typical lazy boy! He loves sports and I think would really benefit from the smaller classes and tighter discipline of a private school.

I don't think a rigorously academic school would be right for him. The only schools I have come across seem very academic and I worry that he may not get in and even if he did, it might not be for him. Does anyone have any recommendations as I feel I'm going round in circles!

LIZS Fri 16-Jan-15 18:47:58

Whereabouts are you ? Ewell Castle or Dunottar?

Waitingandhoping2015 Fri 16-Jan-15 18:48:43

Halliford School fits the bill I think. I was told they only test to Level 4 in the entrance exams. Claremont Fan Court in Eshet would be another, always the banker for most people I know.

inthename Fri 16-Jan-15 18:53:32

which part of surrey are you in?

homebythesea Fri 16-Jan-15 18:56:02

St Johns Leatherhead may be right- lots of sport but supportive of average kids

inthename Fri 16-Jan-15 19:16:18

be aware that a lot of the independent senior schools in Surrey pretest or close their registrations quite some time before their entrance exams. How old is your ds and what year would he be moving to senior school?

sleepingflower Fri 16-Jan-15 21:30:29

We are in woking and he's in year 4 so would go to senior school for year 7

inthename Fri 16-Jan-15 22:45:22

Schools such as Reeds (they do a coach from woking station) possibly ones like Lord Wandsworth College
Have a look on the independent schools council website where you can search for schools by area.

RandomMess Fri 16-Jan-15 22:50:42

What about the international school in Pyrford?

homebythesea Fri 16-Jan-15 23:36:14

Not many independent schools for boys start at Y7 OP- Reeds does, RGS does (but you don't want academic) and Box Hill does (but this might be too far away from Woking?). Most start at Y9 with pretestimg done in Y6 and offers made subject to passmg a Common Entrance or other exam if your current school doesn't prep for CE ie state school in most cases

Namehanger Sat 17-Jan-15 08:38:15

King Edwards Witley - again maybe too far away but train from Woking to Witley station, basically next door.

Reeds - though I understand more academic than it used to be

LIZS Sat 17-Jan-15 09:03:59

Think most do now have an 11+ entry, or are planning one in next year or so such as Èpsom.

LIZS Sat 17-Jan-15 09:06:07

And St Johns from 2016

Waitingandhoping2015 Sat 17-Jan-15 09:17:37

Claremont Fan Court in Esher fits the bill from Woking I guess, don't know if there might be school transport available.

Seems to me there is a shift away from 13+ entry to more 11+ in general- Epsom College and St Johns as mentioned above introducing 11+ next year.

ZebraGiraffe Sat 17-Jan-15 10:54:09

The ones which spring to mind are:
Reeds, Epsom College, Claremont Fan, St Georges, Saliesian College, King Edwards, St John's, Box Hill, Duke of Kent, St Edmunds, The Royal, Ewell Castle, Lord Wandsworth, Frensham Heights
Out of these I know happy boys who were 'less-academic' at 11 (some are now at top unis which shows how the right school and maturity can change them!) at:
Reeds, Salesian, King Edwards, Duke of Kent

There were rumours Cranmore was extending to a senior school but I don't think it ever happened but may be coming, check this out.

sleepingflower Sat 17-Jan-15 21:26:11

Thank you so much!

Waitingandhoping2015 Sat 17-Jan-15 21:32:43

Bit harsh on Reeds and maybe Epsom college - though I do know a 'celebrity's' DD lined up to go there that thinks the Mr Men books are still appropriate reading at age 11...

ZebraGiraffe Sun 18-Jan-15 10:59:27

Waiting I took 'less academic' to mean the ones slightly lower than RGS, Hampton, Kings College Wimbledon which are super academics with incredibly high standards. Epsom and Reeds are still academic and get very good results but in the area they can be seen as less academic due to the very academic schools around (as I said - RGS, Hampton, KCS, GHS, LEH).
The celebrity made me laugh...would love to know who!

Waitingandhoping2015 Sun 18-Jan-15 11:16:48

Sure fair enough. I was going the next level down from Reeds etc.

It sadly just goes to show that if you have a name and have the money then you can open many doors that others cannot.

GJHmum1 Sun 18-Jan-15 11:29:38

Worth looking at St James Senior Boys in Ashford, Surrey too

Dinocroc Sun 18-Jan-15 17:26:50

Reeds , Claremont, Ewell Castle. I know someone who is very happy with St James in Ashford for his son , we looked at it and really liked it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now