Advanced search

DD2 (14) going on a French Exchange in less than a week - we're advised to take a gift for the family - any ideas?

(32 Posts)
2sugarsandadog Fri 16-Jan-15 06:58:52

Shortbread? although I've heard this is available in most French supermarkets

Though about a local game of Monopoly but dd said 'I'm not taking that!' and probably impractical weight and size-wise in any case.

Any ideas anyone? Anyone lived/living in France gagging for something peculiarly English? Thanks in advance!

DisparateHouseMice Fri 16-Jan-15 07:07:45

British beers?

2sugarsandadog Fri 16-Jan-15 07:11:50

She's flying sad

Stealthpolarbear Fri 16-Jan-15 07:15:08

A small hamper of British stuff?
Kendal mint cake, marmite, one beer, erm....
Would that be too heavy?

RipplesOnTheEventHorizon Fri 16-Jan-15 07:17:16

Teas (nice ones), shortbread, fudge
It is the thought that counts

Orangedaisy Fri 16-Jan-15 07:19:02

My mum made a traditional fruit cake with glacé cherries in glaze on top for my French exchange family. Apparently went down well and travelled fine.

Lunaballoon Fri 16-Jan-15 07:22:59

Nice teas, marmalade

eurochick Fri 16-Jan-15 07:24:05

Naice teas. The French generally love good teas (but usually drink it without milk). It is something seen as very British but that they should love rather than turn their noses up at!

2sugarsandadog Fri 16-Jan-15 07:31:01

These all sound really good. Maybe (as her baggage weight will allow) a box of Marmite, Kendal Mint cake, fudge, shortbread and <<<shudders at the idea of making it>>>>> home made fruit cake shock?

2sugarsandadog Fri 16-Jan-15 07:31:31

And tea. Forgot the tea!

MortaIWombat Fri 16-Jan-15 07:39:26

A British recipe book - trad pies or baking or something?

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 16-Jan-15 07:45:19

Tea and British mugs to drink it from (Emma Bridgewater are very popular).

castlesintheair Fri 16-Jan-15 07:46:19

All french supermarkets have naive tea in them and I live in the back end of beyond.

Marmalade is an idea (sure you can buy it here though): they like to have it with their pâté de foie gras. Shortbread also everywhere. Marmite worth a punt for novelty factor. Bendicks chocolates would go down well or other posh mint chocs. Not After 8 - I saw them in Super U last week! Not sure your DC can carry it but they love things like Sloe Gin or a good single malt whisky (although the supermarkets are full of it).

castlesintheair Fri 16-Jan-15 07:48:42

Yes anything with a union jack on it. They love it. Teens esp love t shirts/bags with them on- a good gift for your exchangee?

lapetitesiren Fri 16-Jan-15 07:49:17

Wouldn't send marmite except as a joke. Doesn't appeal to the avarage french palate. Is there something local to your town foodwise? A book with lots of pictures of your local area or tourist attractions. Gives something to talk about to break the ice

Bonsoir Fri 16-Jan-15 07:49:35

If you want to take food, Belvoir Elderflower Cordial is good. As is really good Cheddar or Stilton.

HarlotOTara Fri 16-Jan-15 07:50:16

I sent Tiptree Jam (little scarlet strawberry) and some nice biscuits when my dd did this. On another exchange, French girl to here, and different family, I received fig jam and french honey. Easy to pack and not too heavy.

Bonsoir Fri 16-Jan-15 07:50:52

Agree with castles - Union Jack themed stuff is super popular.

Bonsoir Fri 16-Jan-15 07:51:49

Duchy Original chocolate ginger biscuits also good.

HarlotOTara Fri 16-Jan-15 07:54:01

Actually thinking about it, having had a few exchange students, the students had requests from parents for Cheddar, Stilton, Ambrosia custard and sherry trifle. All things I have never seen in French supermarkets. I did wonder how the trifle got back in one piece. Anyway I think very British things that can't be found in France are good

2sugarsandadog Fri 16-Jan-15 08:49:55

Fantastic ideas - thank you so much. Not sure dd will be persuaded re. cheese although I think its a really good idea. Can't believe the Ambrosia thing! Castles, forgot about exchangee! Lapet, we're in Oxford so the book idea is a really good one - lots of beautifully illustrated books about it. x

Archfarchnad Fri 16-Jan-15 09:02:10

I think you're overthinking this, 2sugars. Last time I was in a British airport I saw a selection of British teas (breakfast, earl grey, etc) in Union Jack caddies at one of the shops landside. That will do perfectly. No need to faff around with cheese or fruit cake.

YogaCats Fri 16-Jan-15 09:49:01

Does the school allow them to take alcohol with them?? At my DS's school, we were advised that no students should carry alcohol as a gift. He took creme eggs for his exchange partner, which went down well! (3 years ago) Don't know what the new version tastes like though!

OldBeanbagz Fri 16-Jan-15 09:55:39

When DD went to stay with a family abroad she took a Emma Bridgewater union jack tin with some British grown tea and biscuits in.

She also took a Union Jack notebook and pen (from Monsoon) for their daughter.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Fri 16-Jan-15 10:03:38

We used to have French children staying with us every year with the exchange programme and some of the gifts they gave us were awful. We have a cork screw made out of a log that looks like a dog poo and a glass swan ornament swimming on a mirror floating around somewhere. The Union Jack biscuit tin someone mentioned upthread is a good idea, otherwise just chocolates or something like that. They'll appreciate the thought regardless.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now