Advanced search

Can anyone recommend an app for French (I)GCSE?

(4 Posts)
duninbyparenting Thu 15-Jan-15 23:31:01

DS3 in Y11 has just had a disappointing mock result for his French IGCSE. I'm planning a few things to help, but wonder if anyone could recommend any particular French apps which I am (optimistically) envisaging he could use on his bus journey to and from school on his iphone? I've done a surf and am now overwhelmed both by the options and conflicting reviews. Thanks in advance for any bright ideas!

QueenTilly Fri 16-Jan-15 10:35:08

I would recommend memrise in general, for learning vocabulary. Even if no-one has already created an IGCSE vocabulary list already (although it looks as if they have) he can create one.

Duolingo is a very popular site (with app) for language learning, too. Not specifically designed for the IGCSE, but language-learning isn't that compartmentalised. Understood grammar points are understood grammar points!

TheWordFactory Fri 16-Jan-15 11:01:42

Which bits did your DS trip uP ON op?

duninbyparenting Fri 16-Jan-15 19:29:19

Thanks QueenTilly - I'll check out your suggestions. I quite agree - and I'm more interested in him being confident and able enough to speak some French abroad than exam results per se. But as they are focussing his mind it's obviously good to seize the moment!

Hi TheWordFactory - the biggest issues were writing tasks. Vocab is a bit weak along with grammar. We've done quite a bit of work on speaking so the mark for that was better. He needs to apply himself really - quite able student, but has not been made to learn vocab each week as I was compelled to do! And not sufficiently self-starting to do more than he's asked.... a common problem in these parts unfortunately!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now