Talk

Advanced search

Get £10 off your first lesson with Mumsnet-Rated tutoring service Tutorful here

Bournemouth Grammar School/Twynham

(8 Posts)
fullcircleagain Thu 15-Jan-15 09:32:25

I would really appreciate any thoughts and advice. We need to apply for secondaries next year. We have a good senior school nearby but are considering trying my son for the boys Grammar in Bournemouth. Does anyone have any experience of this school? Would it be worth moving for if my son passed? Also, what is Twynham like as there is obviously a chance that he/siblings won't pass.

Would really appreciate some insider knowledge.

Thank you!

Pantah630 Thu 15-Jan-15 11:12:16

I have DS2 at the grammar and DS1 went to Twynham, a while ago now he left in 2007. We were moving before the eldest went to senior school and picked Christchurch specifically so he could attend Twynham. It was, and still is, a very good school. I wasn't happy that they missed DS1's dyslexia until yr10 as he was one of those boys that stayed under the radar and just got on with it but ignoring that it was the best place for him. It is truly comprehensive though there are rumours that more children with additional needs and behaviour problems are directed to The Grange, I don't believe it, Twynham's catchment is very small and the majority of the intake are from CJS or Priory school.

Saying that Twynham wasn't the right choice for DS2, he is a very bright, highly motivated child who wanted to attend the Grammar after visiting on open evening. He even had his long hair cut to do the 11+ and went through practice papers for 3 months beforehand so he'd know what to expect. He hasn't been disappointed, now in year 10 and loves it, especially all the CCF and DofE extras, he is on course for 13.5 GCSEs all predicted a/a*, not a stealth boast, I'm just bloody proud of him (as I am of his older brother). That's not to say that he wouldn't have got the same outcome at Twynham, maybe less exams and definitely no Latin which was one of the pulls to GS as he loves History and half of Latin is more Classical Civilisation. Only one friend in his class has dropped out after struggling to keep up, he'd been to a prep and they were all very well prepared for the exam, but most are doing very well, there is still a broad spectrum of ability just not anywhere near what you have at a comp.

If your child is self motivated and naturally bright he will thrive at either, go on a visit and let your son see for himself.

fullcircleagain Thu 15-Jan-15 22:15:23

Thank you so much for such a helpful and informative post!! Hugely appreciate the time you took.

Your thoughts and experiences are really interesting. I will try and book visits and take ds with us.

May I ask whether you enjoy living in Christchurch. We live in another lovely area but are moving for schools really. We could go anywhere. Do you feel Christchurch and Twynham merit a huge life style change?

Again, thank you!

Biri15 Fri 16-Jan-15 02:36:57

Hi There<
My son has just started getting ready fro the 11+ exam to sit for late entry into one of grammar schools in Gloustershire. I am torn between Marling and Sr Thomas' s Rich . Can anyone shade more light please about these two. I have heard a lot of good things about Pate's.

Pantah630 Fri 16-Jan-15 07:03:01

We love Christchurch, it's a compromise for us as we were both country folk. We live Jumpers/Iford end and regular walk from home to Hengistbury Head and the sea, behind us to St Catherines Hill or further afield to Throop or Harbour, as well as only being a mile or so from town. It's a lovely town, decent shops, decent restaurants and facilities. The Regent Centre is great, there are some fab Scout groups (I may be a tad biased there grin) and sports facilities.

It is also, really easy to get into town, Bournemouth, Poole, Southampton via bus, train or car.

Pantah630 Fri 16-Jan-15 07:07:13

Oh and the Priory is gorgeous, we aren't churchgoers but attend the Remembrance, St George's and Midnight Mass services.

As for a lifestyle change, not really to be honest, if you're working in Bournemouth or the surrounding area you won't notice any difference at all, just the town centre is a little less frenetic, except during the good market in May, then it's rammed, and rightly so.

fullcircleagain Fri 16-Jan-15 11:52:32

Thanks once more. It also sounds lovely. Just looked at the Priory school though and seen their Osted inspection put them into special measures. My children are currently in a flagship school and love it there. I think I would find that a difficult change. Are there are any excellent primary schools around Christchurch where you have a good chance at getting into Twynham? I'll leave that it as an open question to everyone - you have helped me enough.

Pantah630 Fri 16-Jan-15 12:42:30

Christchurch Juniors is very good, Mudeford is excellent but not a lot of hope of a place if out of catchment and if in catchment you won't be in Twynham's. Didnt know that about the Priory School it was always rumoured to be excellent. Is it a very recent ofsted as they changed the boundaries and some very good schools, Parley First being one, went from outstanding to poor in a blink leaving both staff and parents astounded. I have no knowledge of this one, DS1 was at Ephiphany then CJS and DS2 to CIS and CJS. Is it possible to remain where you are until secondary or is distance too far?

My comments above about the Priory referred to the Church grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: