Advanced search

6th form in balham

(11 Posts)
balhamgirl1 Thu 15-Jan-15 09:29:45

Hi I am moving to the area soon and i am looking for some advise on the areas to avoid (Norbury?) and some advise on good 6th forms in the area, any help much appreciated.

RaisinBoys Thu 15-Jan-15 19:50:47

Which area? There's a whole heap of Streatham and some of Tooting Bec between Balham and Norbury!

You may want to ditch the area prejudice and be a bit more specific about the information you want. Are you looking at academic A levels? Vocational courses? Aiming for Russell Group uni?

There are good sixth forms at many schools in the area including Chestnut Grove, Dunraven, Burntwood, Ernest Bevin, Lambeth Academy.

There's also Francis Xavier sixth form college at Clapham South & South Thames FE college.

LocalEditorMerton Sat 17-Jan-15 13:33:08

What about Graveney (Furzedown area of Tooting) too? Sixth Form is large and very popular with Wandsworth families!

NotCitrus Sat 17-Jan-15 13:59:14

Boy or girl?
Local gossip is Dunraven is great, Chestnut Grove now very good, Graveney possibly not all that but usually said by those who couldn't get in, Norbury Girls better than people think. I have no direct experience though.

balhamgirl1 Thu 29-Jan-15 11:58:21

sorry for slow reply
moving to ouseley road and having a nightmare trying to move schools mid term, i really wanted Kingston college but they dont accept mid term. any ideas ladies

AmazingDisgrace Thu 29-Jan-15 12:13:44

Is your son or daughter already in Year 12? You might struggle to find anywhere that will take them mid year or that is suitable. Even if you find a 6th form offering the same subjects they might be doing a different exam board or different modules.

Did you mean Kingston College in Kingston upon Thames? That's a but of a journey from Balham

balhamgirl1 Thu 29-Jan-15 12:49:03

Ah its just become apparent its nothing to do with the effect on the child of moving mid term, its all down to money! As the sixth form he is in now have already have the funding the new sixth cant transfer it, so all the hoohaw from the government about keeping your child in education is rubbish! Apparently I can get fined for not sending a hard working Boy who is doing well to school, even though I cant find a school who will take him, surely something is wrong in the system

balhamgirl1 Thu 29-Jan-15 12:50:09

Hi the modules in most places have been matching, but no funding!

EldonAve Thu 29-Jan-15 14:56:27

Have you tried speaking to the Council? telephone : 020 8871 7899

balhamgirl1 Thu 29-Jan-15 17:08:16

I have spoken to the council but they say it's up to the school

EldonAve Thu 29-Jan-15 21:40:00

Well I guess it's commuting until April then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now