Talk

Advanced search

Moving out of London for a good State Secondary

(14 Posts)
AAAPS Sun 11-Jan-15 23:11:11

Hi, My DD is in year 4 and goes to a good primary in SE London.We are now planning to move out of the area as we do not have good secondary options in the area. As with most parents, we initially were looking for grammar schools- Tiffins, Nonsuch, Wallington girls etc. based on recommendations by friends. However, I do realize that it is very competitive to get in, specially as I don't think I will be able to push my daughter too much to prepare for grammars given her health issues. We are therefore now looking to ensure that we can somehow secure her place in a good comprehensive school. I was wondering if targeting a comprehensive school by being in catchment area is a good strategy. If not, what else should I be considering. We have narrowed down on Surrey/KT for our move because of Cheam High, Coombe girls, Roseberry. Any suggestions on the above or any others we should consider. DH needs to travel to London Bridge so that is also a consideration when looking for areas to move in to. I am getting really stressed out and worried. Please help.

AAAPS Mon 12-Jan-15 15:34:15

please help !!!!!!!!!!

PatriciaHolm Mon 12-Jan-15 16:03:27

Rosebury is excellent; but you would need to make absolutely sure you were living in the effective catchment for it (and any school you are looking for) and you may find those catchments smaller than you expect!

Epsom to London Bridge would involve a change of train or a tube, direct trains are few I think.

m0therofdragons Mon 12-Jan-15 16:14:46

I may be totally wrong but I think there is now a high speed rail link from folkestone to London. Folkestone school for girls is a selective school but not the kind of tests you get in Surrey (where I have family), so if dd is bright she'll get in without having to be tutored and pushed.
I don't live there anymore and haven't for years so no idea what the fast link to London actually is.

Namechangethingy Mon 12-Jan-15 16:27:42

I know you said Surrey but you might wish to consider Harpenden. All 3 schools are comprehensive, all rated as outstanding by Ofsted. Direct train to London Bridge - downside....it's expensive, avoid the surrounding villages to maximise your chances of getting your chosen school.

Surreyblah Mon 12-Jan-15 16:32:38

Iirc London Bridge isn't a good commute from epsom.

What about moving in catchment for se London schools, eg charter?

Chandon Mon 12-Jan-15 16:52:58

You could move to Winchester (Hants), a 1 hr train journey.

Two excellent Comprehensives (or even 3), and a direct train to London Waterloo. No grammar system, so "true" comprehensives. Both King's (Ofsted Outstanding) and Westgate (only "good" but another nice school with good results) are popular with parents.

The sort of comps that make lots of parents believe it isn't necessary to fork out for private. Though if you want private, you've got St Swithun's.

AliMonkey Mon 12-Jan-15 17:06:39

Rosebery catchment is usually about 2 miles - had been as low as 1.7. It is reasonably possible to be within Rosebery catchment and within Nonsuch catchment (ie the area within which you don't have to get as high a score) so keeping your options open. Both are good schools but which is better for your DD will depend on her.

AAAPS Mon 12-Jan-15 22:06:18

Thank you all for the suggestions...though we wud prefer not moving too far from London due to work commute.we are still thinking that if we move to sutton we can cover Nonsuch n Wallington girls for grammars(just to give a chance for DD to try her luck ) but can have state schools like cheam high,greenshaw n glenthorne ...only if we can find a place which would be a catchment for all these smile

Bramshott Tue 13-Jan-15 10:18:35

How about Kent grammars if commuting to London Bridge is a consideration?

FWIW I think there are many areas outside London which don't have the crazy polarisation of London schools. If you can 'opt out' of all that angst you might find things are a lot easier on both you and your DD. We moved from SE London before kids, but DD has just started Y7 at a Hampshire comprehensive and talking to friends I feel so relieved to just be out of all that London school-angst thing.

MyballsareSandy Tue 13-Jan-15 10:23:21

What about Coulsdon in Surrey - good service from Coulsdon South to London Bridge, or from Woodmansterne. Woodcote High School is good and you're still in the right area for Wallington Girls if need be.

AmazingDisgrace Tue 13-Jan-15 12:17:33

You might need to be in centralish Sutton to be in catchment for both Wallington Girls and Nonsuch. I don't know how that would affect the comprehensive options There are direct trains to London Bridge from there.

motherinferior Tue 13-Jan-15 12:31:29

Or move to another bit of SE London. I'm in Catford and my daughters attend an excellent comprehensive which has girls from Forest Hill, East Dulwich, all over the place...oh and it's not the one with the posh rep either.

Girl339 Tue 13-Jan-15 12:32:28

Have you considered the Shenfield/Brentwood area of Essex? Good rail links in to London and also getting Crossrail in a few years too. It's in the catchment area for Grammar schools in both Southend and Chelmsford (I think both, definitely Chelmsford) plus 2 Ofsted outstanding secondary schools (St Martins and Beckett Keys) and a number of 'good' rated as well. It's a really lovely area- lots of green space, country parks etc.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: