Talk

Advanced search

Homework dententions

(20 Posts)
siobhanm1 Sun 11-Jan-15 17:10:13

Does anyone think is it right to give a child a detention if they have tried doing the homework but it is not 100% correct?

Sparky05 Sun 11-Jan-15 19:03:20

No! That's ridiculous!xx

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 11-Jan-15 19:06:35

No. I would contact school to find out exactly why the detention was given, on the offchance that there has been some confusion.

Wolfiefan Sun 11-Jan-15 19:08:50

That depends. Was it a chance for the teacher to correct the misunderstanding or allow the child to catch up after absence? Had the child really tried their best? Had they copied?

pieceofpurplesky Sun 11-Jan-15 19:11:39

It depends - is it a teacher giving the pupil extra time to go through the work they clearly didn't understand rather than a punishment. Moat schools run session like this that are 'detentions' but for the sake of the child to give closer attention.

siobhanm1 Sun 11-Jan-15 22:50:23

The child was given one week to complete homework to a green face (she got yellow), tried about 15 times ans could still not do it. confused

pieceofpurplesky Sun 11-Jan-15 23:00:08

So the detention will no doubt be extra help.

smokepole Sun 11-Jan-15 23:02:25

Do you mean Art or creative homework ?. In which case what happens if a child is Dyspraxic and has no "Fine Motor Control" and cannot physically do it right...

Lazymummy2014 Sun 11-Jan-15 23:04:28

Need more details OP. What is this green face / yellow face of which you speak?!

noblegiraffe Sun 11-Jan-15 23:17:18

Sounds like mymaths. Hopefully in the detention your child will be given the support they clearly need to get a green face. Not really a detention but a support session.

siobhanm1 Sun 11-Jan-15 23:21:54

Yes that's it, mymaths. I know a few of her friends have had detentions for it and no help has been given, they sit there in silence which I think is silly.

noblegiraffe Sun 11-Jan-15 23:39:22

That is a bit silly if she isn't going to get any help.

Has your DD made the full effort to complete the homework? Trying it 15 times isn't going to work, has she worked through the associated mymaths interactivelesson (accessed by clicking the L in the top right hand corner)? I get a lot of kids saying they couldn't do the homework but they haven't actually used mymaths to get the help they need.

The other option is to use google or youtube to look up the topic, there are loads of resources out there these days.

42bunnytails Sun 11-Jan-15 23:47:16

That is not reasonable.

Mymaths can be a real pain because it gives different questions each time. So as a parent you can't work through them with your child and spot the mistakes.

DD2 and me waded through a long exercise ending with a complicated question about CDs in boxes that then fitted in crates. Simple maths, but loads of steps. Easy to correct on paper, but we got in a muddle on the screen.

Thus to get a green face (having made a careless mistake further up the page) we would have had to do the whole question set again.

It quickly gets very frustrating and DCs just make more errors rushing the easy stuff.

42bunnytails Sun 11-Jan-15 23:52:33

DD1 just wanted, sad & angry stamps

On sad for each time she tried to log on and angry for the 15th time it refused to work one weekend.

siobhanm1 Mon 12-Jan-15 00:06:57

Yes that's what it done to us earlier, it wouldn't let us try the homework again and we went out especially to buy a book to help. So frustratingangry

silverjohnleggedit Mon 12-Jan-15 07:57:58

My ds got detention for a poor effort in art homework in primary during his first week with an NQT - his fine motor skills were very poor and he's quite embarrassed by his attempts at art. Unfortunately ds had done the detention before he told me about it, I spoke to the teacher and explained the situation, she was a bit mortified by her heavy handed approach and hopefully learned something from it. As you can imagine it did nothing for ds's confidence or his feelings towards art. sad

PastSellByDate Mon 12-Jan-15 12:43:40

siobhanm1

DDs both use My Maths - and also have come across this problem - struggling on a homework but the next homework is slightly different and they make different mistakes.

I agree with Noble - what may help after getting a yellow or red smiley face instead of green - is to review the lesson again.

I'd also add - that with the more complicated problems (I too remember the CD in the crate problem) - encouraging them to do it on paper and check their answer helps.

I think in part this is going to depend on your own maths skills as a parent - if you are confident with the calculations your DD is being asked to do - one solution may be to check her answers before she uploads them - pointing out any errors.

Having said all of that - I agree with many here that have suggested this approach to homework is not helpful. Homework is an opportunity to learn/ extend understanding/ consolidate & revise - but very definitely shouldn't be about getting things 'perfect' or 'near perfect'. Sure that should be a goal - but part of the overall effort - working at it should also be rewarded/ recognised.

So I would advise writing/ e-mailing the teacher, explaining that your DD has repeatedly attempted the homework assigned (15 times) but is clearly struggling with the concept. Although you respect that she has failed to achieve the green smiley face on My Maths and therefore merits a detention, you wonder if it might not be more productive if the teacher or a fellow student could work with your DD on this homework and help her to understand what she is getting wrong - as clearly there is a consistent problem with this concept.

Personally I think this is a mis-use of technology. The teacher will have the metrics from My Maths to see how long and how often your DD worked on these homeworks. She will also know how well your DD did on the questions - e.g. 59% correct, etc... So she should be more than aware that your DD has repeatedly tried this and is struggling. One would presume that good pedagogy from a professional educator at this point would be to intervene where the pupil is struggling and immediately address whatever learning issue there is. I wouldn't put it that bluntly - but I would suggest that this is the point where the teacher or a maths support group should be intervening to help your DD.

Now these may exist at your school (as they do at our school) and the issue may be that having been given a week and the teacher knowing that she's available to assist and their are maths clinics open & available at breaks/ lunch/ after school on several days a week (as at our school) - a child struggling with something need only come along and get help. And indeed this may be the point of the punishment - teaching her to be more proactive and ask the teacher/ go along to maths clinics for help with extended assignments like this (as you said she had a week to achieve green smiley face on this concept). I'm not saying this was the logic - but I think you shouldn't presume that the school didn't have things in place (help at breaks/ lunch/ after school) which your DD for whatever reason opted not to take advantage of - after all she was getting instant results and could see it wasn't going well - so she also was fully aware something was amiss and she was struggling on this concept.

HTH

cricketballs Mon 12-Jan-15 16:53:05

Did your DD go and speak to the teacher before the homework was due to explain? I always tell my students that if they see me before the due date then we can work through the problem/mis understanding; not saying anything/telling me on the due date is not acceptable and a detention will be issued (but I do sit with them!)

siobhanm1 Mon 12-Jan-15 18:24:34

Just found out that DD has not been taught the topic on which the homework is on -very frustrated and annoyed angry

BackforGood Mon 12-Jan-15 18:50:38

I was going to ask the same as Cricketballs
In my dds school (and was the same in ds's school when he was at school) the maths dept are very keen for pupils to come and ask for help - they staff the maths room before school / after school and at lunchtimes (with staff and 6th formers) and pupils who are a bit stuck are expected to go and get help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: