loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone know about Lamda?

(8 Posts)
Itsgoingtoreindeer Fri 09-Jan-15 19:17:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SanityClause Fri 09-Jan-15 19:25:24

Lamda is London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art. They oversee a lot of different exams, mostly to do with speech, elocution and drama. There will be various parts of the exam. So, they may have to read from a text, or a couple of related texts, and answer questions about them, or say a monologue, then discuss the play with the examiner.

The teacher should let her know what she needs to prepare for the exam.

IMO, they are really useful. These skills transfer into many different spheres of employment, and the higher grades (grade 6 and above) attract UCAS points.

Itsgoingtoreindeer Fri 09-Jan-15 20:58:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NotTheKitchenAgainPlease Sat 10-Jan-15 18:28:27

Normally a piece of prose or poetry is read out to the judge. They will mark on style or reading, expression, emphasis etc. She will be asked questions about the piece. The website gives a bit more info

Olivo Sat 10-Jan-15 18:33:59

Sounds like a speech and drama exam. I did it ( known as elocution in the day) I remember very clearly reading a passage from wurzel gummidge!

Picturesinthefirelight Sat 10-Jan-15 18:35:59

If she has been asked to choose a book extract then it's likely she is going to study for either Verse & Prose or reading for performance.

A prose (book extract) first comes in at Grade 2. Grade 1 is two poems.

For a Grades 2-3 you have to choose one poem & one prose extract. One has to be from a set anthology & one is a free choice. You also have to answer questions on the meaning of the words, mood, rhythm & how the words are used & also the story & characters in your prose extract.

My dd has been doing lamda exams since she was 5 but she took a couple of years out to concentrate on her ballet but is now Year 8 & doing Grade 3 Acting this year.

You can apply for special consideration if you have SEN so it means that if any adjustments can be made into how the exam is conducted they will try & accommodate that although they can't lower the standard.

FozzieMK Sun 11-Jan-15 15:27:29

My eldest DD was very shy but took all the LAMDA Verse and Prose exams up to and including grade 6 (bronze medal). They were very useful in making her stand up and speak in front of people being able to express herself through the pieces without actually having to talk about herself. Both she and my youngest DD (year 10) have also found that having taken the exams from the age of around 7 has helped them to be able to memorise large chunks of text relatively easily.

20fifteen Sun 11-Jan-15 22:02:11

A friend mentioned lamda to me recently so I am grateful for the insight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now