Talk

Advanced search

DD with ASD wants to go to art college for 6th form

(17 Posts)
Felina Fri 09-Jan-15 17:16:54

Is this possible/are there places that would cater for this? She's currently in Year 10, struggling with GCSEs except for English, Art and Photography.

Her ASD manifests itself mainly by intense anxiety about many of the other subjects, but she doesn't show it as she sort of shuts down and her face looks blank. She dislikes her school and says she wants to do just "creative things" post 16, but as far as I;m concerned there are 2 problems:
1) she won't get in anywhere without maths and science GCSE
2) nowhere takes you at 16 to study arts anyway, do they?

does anyone have any knowledge on this? Thank you!!!

Chillyegg Fri 09-Jan-15 17:21:35

Hi I did a levels in fine art, art and textiles English literature then whet to a specific art Uni ( Leeds college of art ) to do my degree.
She could also check out a specific art Uni course range mine also provided access and foundations courses. Most colleges also provide art nvqs. There's loads if options don't worry smile

Chillyegg Fri 09-Jan-15 17:22:42

She could also study art and redo her maths and English.

titchy Fri 09-Jan-15 17:37:34

Yes she could! There is a BTEC art and design extended diploma which is the equivalent of three A levels and aimed at 16/17 year olds. You'd have to look at sixth form or FE colleges though as it's not the sort of thing school sixth forms tend to offer. Entry would normally be 5 x C grades inc Eng and Maths though so she needs to sort the maths out. Some colleges might accept her if she resits maths alongside though.

titchy Fri 09-Jan-15 17:55:58

See page 38:
https://www.rutc.ac.uk/images/16-18-course-guide-2015-2016.pdf

catslife Sat 10-Jan-15 12:29:00

You don't need to have a grade C in Science for college OP just in Maths and English and then (at least) Cs in any other 3 subjects.
The only career (outside of Science and technical areas) where you need grade C Science GCSE is teaching.

TeenAndTween Sat 10-Jan-15 16:40:49

Agree with cats you don't need Science GCSE.

Basic requirement is 5 A*-C incl English and Maths.
Even if you fail one of these with a D/E you may well be accepted to a L3 qualification, but will have to retake the missing GCSE.

Felina Mon 12-Jan-15 17:17:50

Thank you everyone!
What is a BTEC diploma? There seems to be a level 1, 2, and 3 BTEC Diploma in Art & Design at our local college. But if each one is a couple of years then she wouldn't do them all surely!?

LIZS Mon 12-Jan-15 17:22:04

Level 2 is gcse equivalent , level 3 a level. You need to look at the entry requirements to be able to discuss which she'd be eligible for.

titchy Mon 12-Jan-15 17:42:59

What Liz said - the entry requirements for the level 3 diploma are like to be 4 or 5 GCSEs at grade C so as long as she got those shed go straight to the level 3 course. If she just missed, say she got Ds, she could do the level 2 (plus Eng and Maths) which is probably one year in length, then do the Level 3.

LetticeKnollys Mon 12-Jan-15 17:47:25

Hmm at a college I was at in 2010 (just to give an example), she would have been allowed (well, forced) to retake the maths GCSE. She could have done an art or photography BTEC though or would have had lots of 'creative' a-level options open to her such as photography, art, fine art, graphic design and textiles off the top of my head.

If she has GCSEs (which are level 2 qualifications) then she can go straight on to the level 3 BTEC, although the course might require grades in certain subjects such as maths or require her to retake them (as it was at my college). Then the first year of university counts as level 4 and so on.

Felina Mon 12-Jan-15 17:51:09

Ive copied and pasted from the college website the following:

Entry Criteria
4 GCSEs (A*–C) including English or maths or Level 2 Diploma, a portfolio of work, plus interview.

that's for Level 3 diploma - it says English OR Maths at GCSE - that would be fantastic as she will get English GCSE no probs (touch wood of course). Could it be a typo, and really it should say English AND Maths?

Here's a link - you scroll down to entry criteria

www.westherts.ac.uk/level-3-diploma-in-art-and-design

3littlefrogs Mon 12-Jan-15 18:02:30

A severely dyslexic boy I know walked into his local art college with nothing but his portfolio. He had little chance of much in the way of GCSEs.

He has worked on some award winning films and is very successful.

It is always worth going and speaking to the relevant people.

titchy Mon 12-Jan-15 18:08:09

Well the course content includesEng and Maths so presumably that's so that those who don't have both can do the missing one, or the equivalent. Email them!

SlowlorisIncognito Tue 13-Jan-15 10:45:44

Felina

If they are asking for English or Maths GCSE, it's still very likely she would have to retake maths if she failed it- however, the college may offer an equivalent course, such as functional skills in maths, which might be easier for her to pass.

The way it reads to me suggests that she will also need a portfolio, even if she has done GCSEs. It might be worth contacting the college to ask what sort of work they would want to see in a portfolio, as she may need to start working on it soon to produce enough pieces.

How would she cope with an interview?

Felina Tue 13-Jan-15 18:50:32

I am going to contact the college to get more info.
Yes I've been asking myself how she'd cope with an interview! Probably very badly due to the anxiety issues she has. I hope they might make allowances for someone with a learning difficulty?

stayathomegardener Tue 13-Jan-15 19:04:40

Hi Felina DD yr 11 very dyslexic may struggle to get the grades for her preferred course next year but has spent the last two years working on her portfolio.
The tutor said it was the best portfolio he had ever seen in a 15 year old (very proud mum!) And she could go without the usual qualifications.
DD also struggles with words and interview situations,especially when nervous. I really felt for her when asked at reception what she was there for "lost" the word for interview and had to be prompted,she was at least able to laugh and say what a bad start that was.
Interview may well have been poor by comparison to others (I didn't go in)but her enthusiasm and skill would have been evident.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: