Talk

Advanced search

Applying to only one 6th form.

(16 Posts)
dingit Wed 07-Jan-15 15:57:47

Is that mad? Dd has been told she needs to apply to another. We already have accepted a place. The only other choice of college is one that is a nightmare journey away, and is twinned with the college she is going to.
The reason they have given, is that they may not run her courses. I can't really see that happening as she has chosen Maths, Physics, Chemistry, the only one that may need to change is Maths for biology.

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Wed 07-Jan-15 16:06:18

It's been many years since I did my A'Levels, but the first school I went to teamed up with 2 different schools (miles apart) and the subjects were split over the three sites, so one Chemistry class at one school, one at another etc. Is it possible that the school does this? We were bussed from one school to another which was OK, unless you missed the bus.

dingit Wed 07-Jan-15 16:15:15

No, I don't believe they are. It's too far away!

LadySybilLikesSloeGin Wed 07-Jan-15 16:27:24

Hmm, I'm not sure then, sorry sad

dingit Wed 07-Jan-15 16:32:03

No worries smile

Spindelina Wed 07-Jan-15 16:59:16

What's the plan if she completely flunks her GCSEs? Could she do resits at the one she's applied to?

dingit Wed 07-Jan-15 17:10:57

Without meaning to boast, she's already banked maths, core and double science and PE. She only needs to get English, she is predicted an A so something will go badly wrong if she doesn't. and yes I know for sure she could resit it.
I can't see any reason to apply elsewhere, but I'm just trying to make sure! These things are sent to try us.

titchy Wed 07-Jan-15 17:22:19

I can't see the point in applying elsewhere tbh - chill!

MillyMollyMama Wed 07-Jan-15 17:47:32

Maths is a very different A level to Biology though. Maths keeps a lot more doors open and would be useful for more degree courses than Biology. It also goes better with Chemistry Physics. Is she only doing 3 As, not 4?

bigTillyMint Wed 07-Jan-15 18:08:38

Quite a few of DD's friends are only applying to the school they are at. All of them seem to be predicted top grades, so it shouldn't be an issue for them.

dingit Wed 07-Jan-15 18:10:09

No she's doing Graphic design as well, with a view to dropping it at in year 13.

dingit Wed 07-Jan-15 18:11:43

Millymolly, she wants to do maths, but we are having problems at the moment, which is a whole other thread!

heatheranneelizabeth Wed 07-Jan-15 20:13:30

I would recommend a plan B just in case. My DS started at one sixth form and then had to transfer very suddenly. The first school could not offer what I consider very standard options together i.e. Maths together with Biology. (Yes....grrr.....) In the beginning they were going to run two maths groups but in the end only one group was viable (not enough pupils got an A grade to enable them to do the maths A level). The group they continued with was in the same timetabling block as Biology....

By researching up front and making an informed decision about what plan B was going to be, it made a stressful time as easy as it could be.

dingit Wed 07-Jan-15 20:52:15

Thanks heather, that's a useful point.

Foomama Thu 08-Jan-15 01:46:12

DD1 was told her French and Photography were in the same timeblock, she had to choose one or the other. She gave up French and chose Biology as her fourth subjects.
I wish the school had told us before the closing date for other sixth form application. We found out too late.

skylark2 Sat 10-Jan-15 21:09:34

I'd suggest you ask them which course they might not run. It surely won't be maths, but maybe they've only had a small number of people express interest in chemistry?

What your DD needs to decide is whether, if they say "we're not running your chosen subjects", she'd rather take different subjects or go to a different sixth form. If she'd rather take different subjects, there's no point applying to another sixth form.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now