Talk

Advanced search

Starting a School Magazine

(3 Posts)
JandLandG Mon 05-Jan-15 17:31:04

Hello all, advice/thoughts/experience/opinions if poss pls.

Eldest is in yr 9 of good local comp and is keen to be a writer/producer/somethingorother, so I suggested he starts writing for the school magazine like you hear writers did when they were young.

Problem is, there isn't one.

I remember a termly publication when I was young on samizdat-style printouts but I suppose you could easily do an e-zone thing now via the school website.

I've chatted to him about the possibilities and he seems open to suggesting it so we're going to have a think...any thoughts?

Should be doable, right?

Ask pupils for contributions, they've mail em in, pupils selects and lays them out and e mails document back to school for approval and publication on website.

What does anyone think? Doable? Or am I missing things that will complicate it.

He could be part of an editorial group of pupils or something and it could develop over a few months into something quite good.

The only thing i can think of is if nasty older pupils e mailed in not-nice stuff anonymously and the kids were exposed to it. How to prevent that?

Anyway, I think this could potentially be a good idea and I'm sure it's already happening so any experience and knowledge of it would be great

I'll leave it with you but thanks in advance

Leeds2 Mon 05-Jan-15 19:45:49

Is there nothing at all on the school website, such as a weekly newsletter with match reports etc?

I have no experience of school magazines, but I would get him to ask an approachable English teacher if they would be prepared to help/oversee this.

JandLandG Mon 05-Jan-15 21:09:06

Hey thanks for coming back to me...much appreciated.

Yep, there's a school newsletter, but it's done by the school sec and it's boring and rubbish!

I'll get my lad to have a think and well put a proposal together for something...after he's had his post Christmas exams....seriously, teachers, is that a good idea for 13 year old kids???!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now