Talk

Advanced search

new gcse

(9 Posts)
Feeeeee Mon 05-Jan-15 13:05:31

help! have dd school report, she is y9 and now has a number 7 for maths and english and a percentage instead of a level or points, school have said its the new number system for gcse but as yet have not explained further, can any tell me a bit more? thanks.

titchy Mon 05-Jan-15 15:36:13

New grades go from 1 to 9 with 9 being the top, and broadly equivalent to the top half of current A Star awards. Grade 8 equivalent to A/A star and grade 7 Around high B/low A in current system. I think anyway...

lljkk Mon 05-Jan-15 20:29:36

Gawd, what a stupid waste of time this change is. All ppl are going to do, is constantly refer back to equivalents in A*-A-B-C-etc. system. DD in yr 8, her high schools hasn't even adopted the new number system, still using NC levels.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 05-Jan-15 20:39:05

I don't think it can be the new GCSE system unless she's very able. 7 is supposed to be the equivalent of an AFAIK. And that's quite unlikely in a child 1 term into year 9.

An old NC 7 would be more likely I think.

titchy Mon 05-Jan-15 21:17:18

Maybe it's a 'would get a 7 if they carried on at same rate of progress'?

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Mon 05-Jan-15 22:28:08

Could be, although I'm not sure it's possible to know what each result is going to look like until the first results come through in 2017, given the other changes to the curriculum.

All we seem to know is that 4 will roughly equivalent to a low C and 7-9 will roughly equate to the proportion of students that get A/A* with the top 20% of those getting A** 9. Which is based on a new curriculum which Gove strongly hinted is going to be harder than the current one. It's a large scale experiment and I'm not sure it's possible to make any predictions about who is going to achieve what.

Feeeeee Wed 07-Jan-15 08:15:05

hi thanks all. think the 7 may well be end of y11 target, but she has been covering some gcse maths and english since year 8, its more the percentage that i don't understand, her school used to use a point system not a leveled system, but her levels would have been high 7's. at end of y8.

TeenAndTween Wed 07-Jan-15 08:30:55

Percentage ideas:
- which band she is in in the year group?
- likelihood of gaining predicted grade?

Appalling that they are giving you reports without a key to explain them!

Feeeeee Wed 07-Jan-15 09:15:20

shes in a top fast track group, so its not band related, she was 78.7% in english and 79.3% in maths, am thinking it may be her last test result, am very confused.
We were meant to have an option meeting in november, they said they would explain more then but due to changes there will be no exams in jan to put her in her option band so meeting has been moved to march, so will have to wait till then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now