Talk

Advanced search

Coloured hair and school rules

(17 Posts)
Feelingworriednow Thu 01-Jan-15 18:08:50

If the school website says "of a natural colour" would you consider a dip dye to be breaking the rules. I have been told by another mum that "if it is subtle it should be ok" but I'm not convinced.

Feellikescrooge Thu 01-Jan-15 18:17:04

It wouldn't be where I work. Start of every term we have trouble like this, kids end up in inclusion and parents get ratty. If it isn't hair colour it is number 1 or shaved cuts or piercings. Causes unnecessary problems generally there are plenty of schools who are more lax.

Olivo Thu 01-Jan-15 18:17:23

We do not allow dip dye, it counts as 'extreme' under our rules.

Philoslothy Thu 01-Jan-15 18:19:30

When I worked in a school we would not have allowed a dip dye

Storytown Thu 01-Jan-15 18:26:01

No I don't think it would be allowed either

AMumInScotland Thu 01-Jan-15 18:38:54

DS old school only allowed 'a natural colour'. By that they meant you could change your hair colour to another one that would have been natural for someone else even if it wasn't your own natural colouring. Dip dye is not a natural look for anyone, so I'm pretty sure they would say it was against the rules.

Wolfiefan Thu 01-Jan-15 18:46:14

If it's subtle just means if nobody notices.
Wouldn't be allowed here.

Feelingworriednow Thu 01-Jan-15 19:12:17

Hmmm, that was my thinking as well. It is not a natural colour. My DD was interested in having it done and as she hasn't really been into personal grooming I was giving it serious consideration. However on reading the rules I think I agree with you all. A friend's daughter is having it done on Sat and she reckons as long as the ends are not too blond (or pink!) then it will be ok, but then she is ok with her DD wearing a full face of makeup as well, although I have to admit she applies it well!

bigTillyMint Thu 01-Jan-15 19:28:36

Why don't you get her some of those wash-out colour sprays (DD used to get them from Superdrug) and let her have a go with them in the holidays/on the weekend?

Feelingworriednow Thu 01-Jan-15 19:30:43

Good idea! How long do they last?

Chillibox Thu 01-Jan-15 19:42:38

Dip dye is soooo passé.

Feelingworriednow Thu 01-Jan-15 20:10:52

Not exactly cutting edge here! Was really pleased that DD wasn't makeup and clothes obsessed but she is taking a bit too much other way at the moment and don't want the other girls to have an excuse to make comments. Girls can be so vile at 13!

Everhopeful Thu 01-Jan-15 22:58:14

I wish they just wouldn't allow it TBH. I have no problem letting DD have a play in the hols, but she keeps asking to get it dyed black. Not happening. If I end up paying for it, not happening EVER!

PointlessResolutions Thu 01-Jan-15 22:59:53

Dip dye definitely not allowed here. Highlights are fine, as is a full dye job as long as it is a naturally occurring colour - so DDs could go red if they wanted to, or black.

AtiaoftheJulii Fri 02-Jan-15 12:30:04

Am sure I've seen dip dyes (not massively contrasting) at my dds' school, who are reasonably strict, but not ott i.e. natural colours only and no grade 1's, but dd2 has had bleached blonde with a grade 2 undercut no problem smile

TalkinPeace Fri 02-Jan-15 15:27:41

if the older male teachers can spot it because they are hopeless at spotting most things then its not allowed

dip dye is always obvious

HSMMaCM Fri 02-Jan-15 18:35:49

Dip dye not allowed at DDs school

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now