Talk

Advanced search

Dd stressing about first high school none uniform day.

(15 Posts)
Itsgoingtoreindeer Sun 14-Dec-14 17:56:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kilmuir Sun 14-Dec-14 17:59:18

Depends if school are strict.
My DD is 16, so bit older, her and her friends still like the shorts and black tights look

glammanana Sun 14-Dec-14 18:03:32

I feel so sorry for some of the girls when they first go to high school as some are so more Street Wise as regards what is fashionable and what isn't we had this last year with DGD.
If you DD turns up in skinny jeans/boots and long sweater she won't go far wrong even tights boots and a mini-skirt with sparkly jumper will be great for her sometimes peer pressure is more awful for girls than boys I feel.oh and get her to do her hair slightly different they all conform for school so a cheeky side ponytail would be cool. tell her to enjoy and have fun and to tell her friends how nice they look it works wonders.!!

BackforGood Sun 14-Dec-14 18:05:55

I have dds in years 8 and 11
yr8 would wear skinny jeans, boots and probably her Christmas jumper.
yr 11 jeans, converse, a hoody probably

kilmuir Sun 14-Dec-14 18:31:46

Jeans not allowed at my Dds school. Form teacher was reading out memo regarding what clothing was on the no list. At end of it he said' well you may as well come in uniform!'

FlumpsRule Sun 14-Dec-14 18:37:06

My Dd is year 10, so I asked.. She thought year 7s probably wouldn't worry too much but most will wear shorts with tights and a crop top (yes, even in this weather). She would prob wear skinny jeans boots & long jumper topped with a beanie hat (never seen dead in a crop top or shorts grin)
Thank goodness no mufti day for us this term.

TheFirstOfHerName Sun 14-Dec-14 18:41:18

DD wore her favourite outfit today. She is only Y6 but more stylish than me. It consists of a (slightly too large) knitted jumper with a single snowflake motif, patterned leggings and suede boots. Most of her friends wear similar types of things.

nooka Sun 14-Dec-14 18:49:06

My dd is 14 so a year ahead I think (we're not in the UK anymore and I get confused!) she goes to a non uniform school and generally wears thick dark leggings and a baggy sweatshirt (currently retro batman) or a t-shirt and thick shirt over it (generally a check pattern of some sort, used to be fairly colourful but she's a bit grungy at the moment, so more likely black or grey).

One thing I have really noticed is that her and her brother care way less about what they wear than their uniform wearing cousins back in the UK. I guess when you wear what you like every day clothes become much less important than when it's a big deal every now and then. dd cares about her hair more than her clothes - she's currently got blue and tourquise streaks.

We had my niece staying this summer and having the right labels was hugely important to her. My two were really non plussed.

Anyway at school a wide range of clothes are worn in the winter, but jeans and leggings with hoodies seem the most common options.

BackforGood Sun 14-Dec-14 20:10:28

That's ridiculous Kilmuir isnt it confused
I agree with your ds - not much point in doing it then.

Pooka Sun 14-Dec-14 20:13:59

Dd will wear leggings and a baggy jumper. With converse or pretend dm's

darlingfascistbullyboy Sun 14-Dec-14 21:11:08

they all wear skinny jeans/leggings/shorts & opaque tights + a t-shirt + a hoodie at dd's school, shoes are converse/DMs. Except for the sixth form - they always wear onesies.

skylark2 Sun 14-Dec-14 21:15:30

DD used to wear jeans and a baggy sweatshirt or jumper.

Until she got to sixth form, at which point she decided she didn't care and it was trackies.

ThePointyAndTheIvy Sun 14-Dec-14 22:41:17

I think what really matters is how confident your DD feels in her current friendship group. If she's secure in it, she can wear what she bloody well wants and it won't be an issue. If not - it's a big problem.

A safe bet though is skinny jeans and a Christmas or other long line jumper, as suggested above.

My DD1 tends to wear crazy goth gear on non-uniform days, but she has a solid friendship group where anything goes. DDs is a little less secure so far but has the confidence to wear what she wants - usually a skater style skirt, thick tights, sparkly top.

Takver Mon 15-Dec-14 09:27:28

DD is yr 8, not trendy at all, but jeans and a club hoodie seem to be perfectly acceptable at her school. (Hoodies with your team/club logo + your name are a big thing here, don't know if that's the case elsewhere?)

However, she's now stressed because they've got a Christmas jumper day and she doesn't have one! She does have a longline jumper with a big star motif on the front, I reckon that counts, she's not sure . . .

mathanxiety Wed 17-Dec-14 20:38:59

I agree with Nooka that children who can wear whatever they want to generally don't bother about labels or think about their choice of clothes too much. The DCs dress for the weather and don't care about labels - if jeans fit and flatter then they get them regardless of brand. DD2 looked great in Old Navy jeans for two years and cried bitterly when she found she had grown or changed shape and could only look nice in Gap jeans (so much more pricey). DD3 wears leggings or skinny jeans plus boots plus sweater or camisole top plus cardigan. Some days she wears her rainboots. Some days she wears plimsolls or flats but normally it's too cold for that after the start of December. DD2 used to wear the same, and sometimes sweatpants. DD4 is 13 and likes waterfall cardigans fsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now