Talk

Advanced search

GCSE PE for less than sporty ds?

(19 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MassaAttack Sun 14-Dec-14 16:15:01

Ds really wants to do PE GCSE. The syllabus looks good, and I see that there are lots of approved activities to choose from (some which look pretty unrealistic though - polo doesn't feature much in most schools fhmm )

Ds is not at all good at sport however. He's mildly dyspraxic, so ball sports are a bit of a non-starter and he's not exactly the best swimmer, either.

He's interested in fitness though, and loves outdoorsy stuff (orienteering etc). The subject also ties in with his career aspirations - he wants to be a copper (he knows he won't be able to join the police straight from school, but he's determined).

Obviously we'll talk to his teachers, but has anyone here any experience of non-sporty students doing OK at GCSE PE?

catslife Sun 14-Dec-14 21:17:30

Do you mean RE or PE? The title of your post says RE but the content says PE?

MassaAttack Sun 14-Dec-14 21:23:52

Oh good grief, so it does blush

PE. I meant PE. I don't think football skills are at all relevant to religious education grin

ladygracie Sun 14-Dec-14 21:27:58

Definitely Talk to the teachers. My dd is very sporty & is doing PE BTEC instead of GCSE as both wee on offer at her school. I think she needed 4 different sports for gcse but only 2 for btec. She has 3 that she was really confident with. And the BTEC is more modular so they are continually assessed (not sure if this is relevant to your ds but it very much was for my dd!).

ladygracie Sun 14-Dec-14 21:29:45

I've just read my post and it doesn't answer your question at all. I'm so sorry. Do feel free to totally ignore it. My friend at school did pe gcse & wasn't at all sporty. She got a D but did get an A for the written side of it.

bigTillyMint Sun 14-Dec-14 21:32:10

I'm not sure if all courses are the same, but I think for the DC's school there is a lot of biology/science and for the practical side the have to do 4 sports either as a participant or Coach or ref/judge, so if he could do one of those roles for each sport he would be OK?

Best to ask the PE department at his school about him specifically, I'd say.

MassaAttack Sun 14-Dec-14 21:37:26

Thanks all. gracie that was useful - I won't ignore you!

Mostlyjustaluker Sun 14-Dec-14 21:44:56

Clicked onto this as I am re teacher but feel like I should post anyway. Speak to her pe teacher and ask her what the course involves, do they think it is a good fit and what grade do they expect her to get.

MassaAttack Sun 14-Dec-14 21:48:58

Sorry mostly blush

If it's any consolation, I love RE.

fluffling Tue 16-Dec-14 16:24:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MassaAttack Tue 16-Dec-14 18:09:20

fblush fgrin I've reported my thread.

TheOnlyOliviaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 16-Dec-14 20:18:34

Hello OP
We've edited your title to prevent people mixing up gospels from games. grin
Good luck to your DS whatever he decides.

MassaAttack Tue 16-Dec-14 20:22:36

Thank you Olivia fsmile

ChillySundays Tue 16-Dec-14 22:40:53

Another one for checking with the teacher.

basildonbond Wed 17-Dec-14 08:27:25

Ds did gcse PE - he enjoyed it but it's not an easy option

He's very sporty and good at biology (the written aspect is very heavily-based on human biology).

His school (exceptionally sporty) won't let boys do gcse PE unless they represent the school in at least the B team in two different sports - there are children in the B teams who are playing at county level so that gives you an idea of the standard they want

The problem for non-sporty children is the mark scheme is very heavily weighted to the performance side so if you're not really good at sport it's almost impossible to get an A/A*

joencaitlinsmum Wed 17-Dec-14 14:09:30

2nd what others have said its not a easy option, DS started it in September and is loving it (extremely sporty) but we were told by the PE staff when choosing the options that it would be hard and competitive to get on the course guess if they have more kids wanting to do it then spaces they can then select those suitable, I would say at least 90% of the kids doing it play some sport outside school for a team (DS plays both rugby & football outside school and will do cricket or tennis in the summer), this means that during practical lessons they are often of a good standard and it is more competitive than in normal PE lessons where they are streamed.

Also bare in mind that if the school doesn't provide a selected activity of your choice your son will have to join a club outside of school and staff will go and access him to see what grade he is.

HTH

HoHonutty Wed 17-Dec-14 18:18:08

DS did GCSE PE and even though he plays sport at county level and loves all sport found it very dull. He did get an A* but wouldn't have done without a high level of sport.

What other choices does he have?

MassaAttack Wed 17-Dec-14 18:32:41

Thanks everyone. We (ds and I) will talk to his teachers.

I've been trying to manage his expectations. It might be possible if he's able to be assessed on things like orienteering and circuits. If they have also to assess him as a football player, say, I very much doubt he'll be allowed to take it.

There are plenty of other options, but this is the only one he's particularly keen on.

HoHonutty Wed 17-Dec-14 18:48:42

DS was assessed on being a trainer too, it was a hard option but still better than something like Art. which took more time than any of the others

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now