Talk

Advanced search

Pros/Cons of Secondary Schools and Raising Kids in York & Surrounds?

(12 Posts)
victorianhomedreamer Sat 13-Dec-14 11:42:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

victorianhomedreamer Sat 13-Dec-14 11:48:15

victorianhomedreamer Sat 13-Dec-14 17:44:33

Moominmammacat Sat 13-Dec-14 19:00:53

Fulford! Nice place, scl has good reputation...

kwerty Sun 14-Dec-14 08:57:28

Queen Ethelburga's grin

VivaLeBeaver Sun 14-Dec-14 09:04:00

Pickering is nice. Good secondary school. Kids seem well behaved. I have friends who have dc there and they're happy with the school.

victorianhomedreamer Sun 14-Dec-14 09:16:14

YorkshireAtHeart Sun 14-Dec-14 13:06:02

Hi!
I'm from york. It's a nice place to live depending on the area. Avoid clifton and acomb areas schools are generally poorer and teenagers more nasty.
Fulford,strensall and them areas are great for teens and have good schools supporting them. There does seem to be a culture for clubbing at the minute but that is in the areas ive mentioned not to move to. Avoid belfarm and heworth.

victorianhomedreamer Sun 14-Dec-14 15:57:28

YorkshireAtHeart Sun 14-Dec-14 16:52:18

The best thing its a friendly place and there's always lots of things going on. My dd doesn't attend school in york due to bullying but boards at a very good quaker school 45mins away and she says she misses the culture that york has when she's at school

HollyBdenum Mon 15-Dec-14 00:49:38

Mine are still at the primary school stage, but from seeing friends' teenagers, York strikes me as a pretty good place for teens. There are some excellent state secondary schools, there's plenty of stuff to do with a fairly small area in which to do it, public transport and cycling are good if you live centrally, so they can be quite independent. Friends'children have gone on to Oxbridge/RG universities from Fulford and All Saints schools and York College.

I would say that the state schools here seem to be significantly better than those in many other parts of the country, in that the ones with a not so good reputation locally would be considered fairly standard in many places. There are plenty of opportunities for music/drama/ sport etc, and many of the university sports clubs accept older teenagers.

victorianhomedreamer Mon 15-Dec-14 16:14:14

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now