Talk

Advanced search

Girls and tights (or lack thereof)

(9 Posts)
MEgirl Thu 11-Dec-14 11:39:23

For those of you who have girls who wear skirts for school, do they wear tights or only socks?

DD is in Year 7 and school uniform is a knee length kilt. She insists of wearing long socks. I ask her frequently if she isn't cold but she insists that she doesn't want to wear tights. I'm just curious whether she is alone in this. I do worry about her getting cold in the mornings. She leaves the house at 7.15 to walk to the bus and it has been freezing recently.

I have no intention to try and force her to wear tights. Was just wondering whether this is "a thing". I couldn't bear to have bare legs (no pun intended). If I can't find a pair of tights then I wear leggings.

fieldfare Thu 11-Dec-14 11:42:57

Dd's in yr 7 and I see lots of the girls with bare legs in the morning. She normally wears trousers but if they're in the wash then she'll wear a skirt with really thick 200denier tights. She chose them, they're warm, she can't put her finger through them like normal and if the wind blows her skirt up then no one can see her knickers - this is all her reasoning!

SavoyCabbage Thu 11-Dec-14 11:43:03

Over the knee socks do you mean? I wore these at school and I found them more comfy than tights. I didn't like having two waistbands. So I don't mind tights with dresses.

I am a Geordie though. We don't get cold. grin

tabulahrasa Thu 11-Dec-14 11:49:54

Wearing not enough clothes for the weather is definitely a thing.

My DD is away this morning, with no jacket...in the snow hmm (she is wearing trousers though)

When she does wear a skirt, she wears sheer tights anyway.

I've given up - if she wants to be cold, she can be cold.

mummytime Thu 11-Dec-14 12:13:26

Long socks are not allowed at DDs' school. DD1 wears tights, DD2 wears ankle socks (she has tights but doesn't like them). The local Catholic school even has students who wear ... Coats! I was shocked.

Purpleroxy Thu 11-Dec-14 12:20:42

I see lots of Y7 girls with long socks and skirts.
My dd is younger and wears tights when it gets very cold. Tights are a pest and only worn when absolutely necessary.

Apparently round here, 8yos are too old to wear hats or coats.

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 11-Dec-14 12:21:12

Dd was a trendsetter at her primary school when she started to wear opaque grey tights instead if knee length grey socks or woollen socks. Everyone wanted them when they saw dd in them.

The school she expected to transfer to has black tights only as their uniform (natural in summer) so she was geared up to that. However she actually ended up at a school where the uniform is grey tights or knee length socks. She prefers to wear socks a lot of the time as she fits in but I think she looks smarter in the opaques so I buy her those. The other girls still wear the woollen tights in year 7 or socks. Maybe opaques will catch on there.

MEgirl Thu 11-Dec-14 12:38:31

Glad to know that we're not alone. She wore tights at primary with no objections. We went through loads of sheer tights in Y6 but she doesn't seem to want to wear them now (skirt at primary as well).

I'm happy to provide her with what she wants if she changes her mind. She did say some time ago that if she get really cold she'll wear the sheer tights with socks on top. I have to check whether the tights have to be black if there are no socks. She's wearing either white or black socks at the moment, sometimes ankle length and sometime long, non over the knee. Not sure if those are allowed.

I'm sure that she'll tell me when she's had enough of being cold. All three of mine wear their coats. I'm pretty sure that most of the kids at their school wear their coats though my nephew would wear short polos all year long if possible.

skylark2 Fri 12-Dec-14 22:04:36

I think every girl at DD's school wore navy tights with their skirts. Never saw a single one wearing socks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now