Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me About Ilkley Grammar School Please! (Plus other top schools in Wharfedale)

(11 Posts)
victorianhomedreamer Mon 08-Dec-14 16:49:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

victorianhomedreamer Mon 08-Dec-14 17:16:05

Msmargarethale Mon 08-Dec-14 20:20:19

You might want to consider Skipton. Ermysteds for boys and Skipton Girls High score very well in the league tables. The downside is that both are selective, so that if your DCs do not pass the 11+ the other options can be less attractive.

victorianhomedreamer Tue 09-Dec-14 09:42:00

MyCatsRule Tue 09-Dec-14 10:58:59

Ilkley Grammar School is a great school. True, it is a very big school on a constrained site, but we have found the pastoral care and academic ambition for both our children to be excellent. Ilkley itself is a bit of a bubble, but a lovely one. It certainly allows teens their freedom, and of course Leeds is a short train ride away as the get older. The villages along the wharfe valley - Burley, Addingham etc feed into IGS. The Skipton schools are good but they are selective so this definitely accounts for their results! A child who achieves the pass mark to get into these schools would do just as well at IGS in my humble opinion!

victorianhomedreamer Tue 09-Dec-14 12:03:51

Rosieposy4 Wed 10-Dec-14 20:36:34

As a teacher in Harrogate, with dcs at school elsewhere, and having taught elsewhere, I don't see Harrogate as having a huge drugs problem.
It is totally naive to suggest drugs are not readily available, they are any where, Harrogate , Ilkley, Leeds, Bradford or York, but Harrogate does not have a drug problem any more than any other small/medium town. And probably less than some.
House price problems are a different issue, though Ilkley is also pretty pricey.

victorianhomedreamer Thu 11-Dec-14 08:42:19

HPFA Thu 11-Dec-14 11:17:22

My godchildren went to Prince Henry's School in Otley and have done fantastically well. Eldest has got into vet school and youngest is preparing to do A-Levels despite severe dyslexia. Neither of them did brilliantly at primary school and have made wonderful progress at the school. Otley is a nice town too

TooHasty Fri 12-Dec-14 15:47:18

Drugs are everywhere from the innercity to the rural hamlet.

victorianhomedreamer Fri 12-Dec-14 17:26:17

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now