Talk

Advanced search

Help me decide laptop screen size for Yr 8 DD

(6 Posts)
AChickenCalledKorma Sun 07-Dec-14 22:15:54

We are planning to get a laptop for DD for Christmas so she will stop hogging mine

Would like it to be no more than £300. There seem to be quite a few at that price range with 11 (or so) inch screens. But I'm concerned that might be a bit small for working on a whole A4 page at a time (e.g. for the dreaded "create a poster" homework). She's used to using my desktop, so might find it a bit annoying scrolling up and down the screen.

On the other hand a 15 inch seems a bit big and heavy if she ever needs to put it in a school bag.

There don't seem to be many between those sizes and those we've found have been more expensive.

Anyone able to comment (preferably from the point of view of year 7-9 DCs that use a laptop for homework)?

SoonToBeSix Sun 07-Dec-14 22:17:17

I would get a 15 inch , I have never know a school child to take their laptop to school.

NWgirls Sun 07-Dec-14 23:08:44

We just got a 13 inch Chromebook for £199 at PC World - DD liked that size. But also agree it will stay at home all or most of the time.

Not sure about the google setup, but glad to avoid the annual microsoft 365 extortion.

trashcansinatra Sun 07-Dec-14 23:12:46

We got a 15" HP laptop for our 11 yr old son and he loves it. At that price (£290) it is nowhere near the quality of our MacBooks but it does a great job and isn't too heavy at all.

basildonbond Sun 07-Dec-14 23:18:38

Ds has an 11" HP laptop but he has quite severe dyspraxia and his writing is incredibly slow and painful and the end result is illegible so he types wherever possible so it needed to be light in order for him to be able to lug it around all day

Notinaminutenow Mon 08-Dec-14 08:26:43

DS has a 15" HP. Never takes it to school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now