Talk

Advanced search

My friend's daughter is worried about next school year

(19 Posts)
paulkal Thu 04-Dec-14 07:44:38

My friend's daughter is worried about next school year (she's doing her GCSEs at the end of this year) because she thinks that she is not academically good enough to study A levels and go on to uni. Both I and her mother have tried to reassure her that she can do a BTEC or similar vocational course next year but she seems to think that this will not help her chances much. Who could we refer her to to get impartial advice that would have a positive effect on her?

homework Thu 04-Dec-14 12:23:46

Why don't you look around sixth form colleges they will give her information , on what she can do next with what gcse . There are a lot of different courses out there , she can play to her strengths .

Do you think she could be stressed and a little down at the moment , as it's a very tough year for them , maybe get her to see gp / counsellor .

If she's done her mocks that may help her focus , that she's actually doing okay , then try taking pressure off for a while , to relax and spend time with mates doing stuff she wants to do but set a date for getting back into study , so she knows that she doing .

LIZS Thu 04-Dec-14 15:42:53

Both I and her mother have tried to reassure her that she can do a BTEC or similar vocational course next year but she seems to think that this will not help her chances much. Chances for what ? What does she want to do after ft education ?

TheFirstOfHerName Thu 04-Dec-14 15:45:21

Chances for what ? What does she want to do after ft education?

This is the key question. It depends on what she wants to do.

magpieginglebells Thu 04-Dec-14 15:46:56

I agree with the others, what does she want to do. A levels and university are not for everyone. Does she have a job she would like to have?

mummytime Thu 04-Dec-14 18:58:10

Has she been to visit colleges? Does she know what job she wants? What do her teachers think?

Mostlyjustaluker Sun 07-Dec-14 19:04:09

She needs to make an appointment with a connexions advisor. Often they come in schools if not there should be on in her area.

The rules have changed and she must be in education or training until 18 but there are many different options.

sashh Mon 08-Dec-14 07:59:33

She could go look around a department at a local FE college, talk to staff and students about where they are going after their courses.

Many students start with L1 or L2 courses as well as L3, so she can continue in education with whatever grades she gets, but if she gets good ones she can start at L3.

I teach Health and Social Care and most students are going on to nursing, midwifery or social work courses at uni.

But some are leaving to take up work.

DeWee Mon 08-Dec-14 18:03:04

I think the answer to this depends so much on the child.
1. What does she want to do?
2. Is she right; would a vocational qualification suit her better?

If she doesn't really know what she wants to do, maybe looking at voactional careers and apprenticeships may help her both decide, and realise she can achieve something great through that route.

paulkal Wed 10-Dec-14 07:32:05

Dear Homework,
Thanks for your reply. Her mother is encouraging her to talk to people in sixth form colleges so we will see what happens then.

paulkal Wed 10-Dec-14 07:36:02

LIZS,

You ask a good question there. We are trying to find out what she does want to do when she finishes her education but that seems to be quite a difficult task at the moment. She seems to want to put off the decision for as long as possible, which her mother has advised is not a good idea. Maybe we should agree to give her some space for a few weeks and then fix a date in the New Year when she agrees she will start becoming more proactive.

paulkal Wed 10-Dec-14 07:36:52

Yes most certainly the key question, one we are still trying to get an answer to.

paulkal Wed 10-Dec-14 07:39:38

She hasn't got a clear idea of what kind of job she wants to do. She has mentioned retail but has not followed that up with any enquiries to people who could help. We will keep trying to encourage her, as well as agree to give her some space during the latter part of December and early January.

paulkal Wed 10-Dec-14 07:40:24

She will visit some colleges, as from January.

paulkal Wed 10-Dec-14 07:42:47

She has been encouraged to make an appointment with a connexions advisor but has resisted doing so. She has been given until early January by her mother to make up her mind, so at least she has some idea of when she needs to start getting proactive.

Littleturkish Wed 10-Dec-14 07:43:32

I would definitely try and help her see that the next few years don't have to define the rest of her working life.

Retail is a good idea- does she have a PT job at the moment? Arcadia group (bought out by Phillip Green) used to do a school leavers training programme- I would investigate this and see if any of them spark her interest.

paulkal Wed 10-Dec-14 07:43:47

Point taken. FE colleges would also be an option, which her mother is encouraging her to take a look at.

paulkal Wed 10-Dec-14 07:45:28

As said earlier, she is going to start looking at her options in the New Year and we have certainly encouraged her to take a look at vocational courses.

paulkal Fri 12-Dec-14 08:29:07

Hi Littleturkish,
Thanks for your reply. No she doesn't have a PT job at the moment but her mother is encouraging her to see the benefits of that. I will check out the Arcadia group as that sounds like it could be a useful opportunity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now